Plaza de la Constitucion Tours and Tickets
At the heart of Chile’s political landscape, the Plaza de la Constitucion is a vast, paved square occupying a full square block in the center of Santiago’s civic district. Surrounded by government buildings like the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Justice, and the Banco Central de Chile, the most impressive site of all is the square’s Palacio de la Moneda.
Designed by the Italian architect Joaquín Toesca and built in the late 18th century, the Palacio de la Moneda is said to be one of the finest neoclassical buildings in South America. Originally intended as the Royal Mint, today the palace houses the Chilean presidential offices.
Every second morning, here’s where you can see the changing of the guard set to the Chilean national anthem, and while you can’t go inside the palacio, you can wander its inner courtyards. In front of the south side of the Palacio Moneda, it’s worth visiting the Centro Cultural Palacio de la Moneda. Opened in 2006, the cultural center features temporary exhibitions of South American art and photography.
Tours and Tickets to Experience Plaza de la Constitucion
Small Group Best Deal: Panoramic Santiago city tour experience plus Viña del mar - Valparaiso - Casablanca in Two Days from Santiago
- La Moneda Palace (Palacio de la Moneda)
- Chilean Museum of Pre-Colombian Art (Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino)
- Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
- Red House (Casa Colorada)
- Central Post Office
- National Museum of Natural History (Museo Nacional de Historia Natural)
- Santo Domingo Church (Iglesia de Santo Domingo)
- Chilean National Library (Biblioteca Nacional de Chile)
- Santa Lucia Hill (Cerro Santa Lucia)
- Santiago Central Market (Mercado Central de Santiago)
- Palacio de Bellas Artes
- Barrio Lastarria
- Ahumada Boulevard (Paseo Ahumada)
- Forestal Park (Parque Forestal)
- La Vega Central Market