Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana) Tours and Tickets
Santiago's Cathedral - or Catedral Metropolitana - is considered one of the finest pieces of religious architecture in South America. This is the Catedral Metropolitana's fourth incarnation (as well as numerous touchups) since a church was first dedicated on this spot in 1561, and must be one of its loveliest.
It was most recently rebuilt in the 1750s, with the help of Italian architectJoaquín Toesca, who designed the baroque-fringed neoclassical facade that set the standard for subsequent structures around the Plaza de Armas.
Yet, as impressive as the stone exterior is, it is the resplendent vault and richly adorned altar, inside, that really inspires. A small museum of religious artifacts adjoins the main church.
Tours and Activities to Experience Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
Santiago Like a Local: Private Walking Tour with Coffee, Markets, Street Food and San Cristobal Hill
- Central Post Office
- National Museum of Natural History (Museo Nacional de Historia Natural)
- Santo Domingo Church (Iglesia de Santo Domingo)
- Chilean Museum of Pre-Colombian Art (Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino)
- Red House (Casa Colorada)
- Santiago Central Market (Mercado Central de Santiago)
- Plaza de la Constitucion
- Santa Lucia Hill (Cerro Santa Lucia)
- La Moneda Palace (Palacio de la Moneda)
- Palacio de Bellas Artes
- Chilean National Library (Biblioteca Nacional de Chile)
- La Vega Central Market
- Barrio Lastarria
- Forestal Park (Parque Forestal)
- San Francisco Church (Iglesia de San Francisco)