A family-friendly destination that’s both entertaining and educational, the Aquamundo Aquarium is one of the biggest in Chile, with more than 1,000 species of reptiles, birds, and fish. Exhibits often showcase local sea creatures, such as the poisonous Easter Island balloon fish and the Central Coast red shark.
The Aquamundo Aquarium’s 4,227-gallon (16,000-liter) tank is home to several nurse sharks, as well as species such as lionfish, manta rays, moray eels, clown fish, piranhas, and electric eels. To make the most of your time in O’Higgins Park, combine a visit to the aquarium with a few amusement park rides at Fantasilandia, a dip in the public pool, or a game of tennis.
Things to Know Before You Go
Aquamundo Aquarium is a must-do for families.
Buy tickets online in advance for quick entry to the aquarium.
The aquarium sometimes offers educational talks and guided tours. Inquire in advance.
The aquarium isn’t accessible to wheelchairs.
How to Get There
Aquamundo Aquarium is located in O’Higgins Park, in central Santiago. The closest metro stations, both on Line 2, are Parque O’Higgins (about a 2-minute walk from the aquarium) and Rondizzoni (about a 15-minute walk).
When to Get There
Aquamundo Aquarium is open all day, every day; however, hours sometimes vary, so call before visiting to be sure the aquarium is open. A popular draw for children, the aquarium tends to be busiest on weekends and holidays.
While you’re there, take advantage of a few other attractions within the sprawling O’Higgins Park, one of Santiago’s largest public parks. You’ll find Fantasilandia (a big amusement park), as well as a public pool, a roller-skating field, a skate park, tennis courts, a soccer field, and walking trails crossing the length of the park.
- Club Hipico
- Ahumada Boulevard (Paseo Ahumada)
- La Moneda Palace (Palacio de la Moneda)
- Plaza de la Constitucion
- Chilean National Library (Biblioteca Nacional de Chile)
- Chilean Museum of Pre-Colombian Art (Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino)
- Red House (Casa Colorada)
- Santa Lucia Hill (Cerro Santa Lucia)
- Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
- Central Post Office
- National Museum of Natural History (Museo Nacional de Historia Natural)
- Santo Domingo Church (Iglesia de Santo Domingo)
- Barrio Lastarria
- San Francisco Church (Iglesia de San Francisco)
- Palacio de Bellas Artes