Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana) Tours and Activities
The national cathedral of El Salvador may not offer the same old-world architectural charms—like ornate stone work and detailed religious statues—of its European counterparts, but the iconic white Roman Catholic church is still a stunning monument and homage to San Salvador’s deeply religious roots.
Once the site of a violent massacre where some 40 people were killed during a stampede at the funeral of Archbishop Oscar Romero, today the iconic structure offers a bit of peace and tranquility for visitors to this capital city. The white façade gives way to a colorful interior, where images of the Divine Saviour and a four-column bladcchino bless the main altar. Travelers can spend a moment in quiet contemplation, light a candle, and take in the massive paintings that depict moments in the life of Christ while on a visit to the nation’s most famous cathedral.
Tours and Activities to Experience Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
Frequently Asked Questions
- San Salvador Layover Tour | City Sightseeing & El Boqueron National Park
- San Salvador Historic Downtown Bike Tour
- Photographic Safari San Salvador.
- Full day | San Salvador City Tour and Boqueron Volcano
- Things to do in San Luis Talpa
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Quetzaltenango
- Things to do in Managua
- Things to do in Flores
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands