El Rosario Church (Iglesia El Rosario) Tours and Activities
Strolling past the grey concrete arch of El Rosario Church, it’s hard to believe that the bleak, hangar-like building is a place of worship, and if it wasn’t for the single, featureless white cross rising from its entrance, you’d likely pass right by. Don’t be put off by its dreary façade, though – step through the church doors and you’ll be confronted by a startling wall of color. The inspired creation of artist Ruben Martinez, the arched walls are adorned with scrap-metal figures and feature dozens of stepped windows made of colored glass, which flood the open, pillar-less hall with a kaleidoscope of light.
Built in 1971, the church was as controversial as it was innovative, and today it remains among El Salvador’s most unique and memorable landmarks. El Rosario Church is also famous as the resting place of José Matías Delgado, or “Padre Delgado,” the father of Central American independence.
Tours and Activities to Experience El Rosario Church (Iglesia El Rosario)
Frequently Asked Questions
- San Salvador Layover Tour | City Sightseeing & El Boqueron National Park
- San Salvador Historic Downtown Bike Tour
- Photographic Safari San Salvador.
- Full day | San Salvador City Tour and Boqueron Volcano
- Things to do in San Luis Talpa
- Things to do in Puerto Quetzal
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Quetzaltenango
- Things to do in Managua
- Things to do in Flores
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands