Crystal Cave (Mountain Cow Cave) Tours and Activities
Crystal Cave, also known as Mountain Cow Cave, is located within the Blue Hole National Park near Belmopan, Belize’s capital city. To get to Crystal Cave, you may have to start with a moderately challenging, 50-minute hike through lush rain forest and steep terrain. Depending on your entrance point, you then descend by rope for 15 feet to drop into the mouth of the cave.
Ancient Mayans believed this to be the domain of their gods, earning it the name of Xibalba. Mayans said this is the portal between the tangible human world and the invisible world of the gods. Sacred rituals and important ceremonies were once performed here, and visitors today will see remnants such as ceremonial bowls, pots, and even skeletal remains from sacrificial victims.
Crystal Cave is also full of natural wonders including unique rock formations, massive stalagmites and crystal clusters, a major attraction. The calcite formations cover the floors, walls, and ceiling of Crystal Cave. Some tours include the opportunity to explore Crystal Cave in the water, as you can embark on a refreshing cave tubing journey as you meander along the waters of Xibalba and through an impressive Gothic chamber with hidden pottery dating back to 300 AD.
Tours and Activities to Experience Crystal Cave (Mountain Cow Cave)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Day Trip To Crystal Cave and Blue Hole National Park
- Private Crystal Cave and Blue Hole National Park Day Trip from San Ignacio
- Things to do in Flores
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Placencia
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Panajachel
- Things to do in San Pedro La Laguna
- Things to do in Quetzaltenango
- Things to do in Petén
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands