War Memorial Opera House Tours and Activities
Part of the larger San Francisco War Memorial and Performing Arts Center, the War Memorial Opera House is a center for arts and culture in the city by the bay. It is home to the San Francisco Ballet and, of course, the San Francisco Opera.
The structure dates back to 1932, when it was designed by prominent architect Arthur Brown, Jr in a beaux-arts style. It was the first municipally owned opera house built in the United States, and at the time of its opening it was one of the most technologically advanced venues in the country. Today the elegant theater holds classical ballet and opera performances as well special events and lectures.
The opera house opens with a grand lobby and an ornately decorated 38-foot ceiling, lined with tall columns. Broad staircases lead to the theater, which is both modern and traditional at once. It is widely thought to be one of the most beautiful buildings in San Francisco.
Tours and Activities to Experience War Memorial Opera House
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in Yosemite National Park
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon