James R. Herman Cruise Terminal at Pier 27 Tours
Read MoreShow Less
The James R. Herman Cruise Terminal at Pier 27 is one of the Port of San Francisco's many properties, and this modern station is a welcoming portal to the city with numerous activities nearby. Walk to Fisherman's Wharf for coffee and shopping, catch a baseball game at Oracle Park, or hike to Coit Tower for great views.
Originally opened in 2014, the James R. Herman Cruise Terminal offers a scenic gateway to San Francisco, presenting views from the Bay Bridge to Telegraph Hill and easy access to the Embarcadero waterfront. The terminal offers an ideal starting point for urban adventure, with many sights within walking distance. Pair a visit with stops at waterfront attractions—including the Exploratorium science museum—and grab dinner at the must-see Pier 39.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The San Francisco waterfront can be windy and brisk, so bring a warm layer of clothing.
- To rest your feet, take a break in Cruise Terminal Plaza, which offers benches and a lawn for lounging.
- You can easily travel from the terminal to neighborhoods around San Francisco via MUNI and BART public transit systems.
- Though you can’t store bags at Pier 27, the California Welcome Center at Pier 39 offers luggage storage.
How to Get There
Since the James R. Herman Cruise Terminal is on a busy stretch of the Embarcadero, the most convenient way to visit Pier 27 is by public transit. Take Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) from the East Bay or the airport. If you’re traveling within the city, take MUNI light rail. Hop on the E or F streetcars, and get off at the Embarcadero & Sansome Street stop. For drivers, paid parking is available.
When to Get There
Plan to arrive early for a cruise, since it's important to make your shipboard time. Otherwise, there’s no bad time to visit; numerous Embarcadero eateries, shops, and attractions are located within walking distance. You can expect more crowds over the weekends and when ships are in port.
Shopping at the San Francisco Ferry Building
Located about a 15-minute walk from Pier 27, the San Francisco Ferry Building Marketplace is a foodie hotspot with everything from local honey to craft beer and handmade ceramics packed under one roof. Sample regional produce at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market—hosted three times per week—and, for a near-perfect alfresco dining experience, buy local baked goods, meats, and veggies in the market, and eat them on Ferry Plaza’s public benches.
Address: Pier 27 The Embarcadero, San Francisco, California 94133, USA
0 Tours and Activities to Experience James R. Herman Cruise Terminal at Pier 27
No results found!
Things to do near San Francisco
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Sausalito
- Things to do in Oakland
- Things to do in Napa & Sonoma
- Things to do in San Jose
- Things to do in Santa Rosa
- Things to do in Sacramento
- Things to do in Lake Tahoe
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in Oregon