San Diego Museum of Art (SDMA)
The museum offers cultural and educational programs for the whole family. Its collections and exhibitions showcase artwork and artifacts from around the world and include works by artists such as, Henri Matisse, Salvador Dali, Claude Monet, Georgia O'Keeffe, Diego Rivera, Rufino Tamayo, and more. The temporary exhibits are always changing, so there’s always something new to see.
The museum also hosts workshops, art cafes, art after hours, and special events. Docent tours are offered most days. For those looking to save money, entry is included in a discounted multi-attraction pass.
Things to Know Before Your Go
Expect to spend a few hours exploring the collections and major exhibitions.
Buy your tickets in advance to avoid waiting in line at the ticket booth.
The museum is wheelchair accessible and offers Wi-Fi.
Set aside some time to visit the museum store and Panama 66 restaurant.
How to Get There
There are several ways to reach the San Diego Museum of Art, located in Balboa Park. Ride the Route 120, Route 7, or Rapid 215 bus routes, or hop on the free tram that loops through the park. If you're driving, follow Laurel Street until it ends at the Plaza de Panama, adjacent to the museum.
When to Get There
The art museum is open every day, except Wednesday, and there isn’t really a bad time to visit. If possible, avoid visiting on the third Tuesday of every month when the museum offers free admission for San Diego residents as these days tend to be busy. The museum is closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day.
Balboa Park Attractions
The San Diego Museum of Art is located in the heart of Balboa Park, just steps from museums and attractions, such as the Fleet Science Center, San Diego Museum of Man, and Spanish Village Art Center. Other park highlights include the California Tower, the Old Globe Theatre, the Japanese Friendship Garden, and the San Diego Zoo.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada
- El Prado
- Mingei International Museum
- Old Globe Theater
- Museum of Photographic Arts
- San Diego Model Railroad Museum (SDMRM)
- San Diego Museum of Man (SDMM)
- San Diego History Center
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- Spreckels Organ Pavilion
- Balboa Park
- San Diego Natural History Museum (The Nat)
- Spanish Village Art Center
- Fleet Science Center
- San Diego Zoo
- Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rose Garden