Enjoy a range of outdoor activities at Pacific Beach, such as sunbathing, swimming, surfing, bodyboarding, beach volleyball, bicycling, and skateboarding. The beach is wide and flat, while the boardwalk stretches for 3.2 miles (5.1 kilometers). Refuel or grab a drink at one of the many cafes, restaurants, and bars, or shop for souvenirs or gifts at a boutique shop, along the boardwalk or nearby. It’s easy to visit Pacific Beach independently. Or join a beach sightseeing tour or a coastal bike tour to see other area highlights, such as La Jolla Cove, Ocean Beach, and Sunset Cliffs Natural Park.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Bring plenty of sun protection if you plan to spend the day outside.
- Lifeguards are on duty year-round. Find the main lifeguard tower at the end of Grand Avenue.
- Bathrooms and shower facilities are located around the pier at the end of Garnet Avenue and around the main lifeguard tower.
- Alcohol is prohibited on the beach and boardwalk.
How to Get There
Pacific Beach is located north of Mission Beach, From Interstate 5, take Garnet Avenue west to Mission Blvd. Free parking is available on the street and at the lot on Tourmaline Street. There are also paid lots around the area. Local bus no. 8 and 9 connect Pacific Beach to Old Town, and bus no. 30 runs along Grand Avenue.
When to Get There
Mornings and sunsets are great times to enjoy a walk or run along the beach. Parking is limited, so arrive early in the day to score a spot. Weekends and holidays can be particularly busy. Enjoy a sunset from the beach, then stay to experience the vibrant nightlife scene.
Belmont Park Just south of Pacific Beach is Belmont Park. A National Historic Landmark, Belmont Park has a history dating back more than 100 years. A popular beachfront amusement park, it features numerous rides, including the historic Giant Dipper wooden roller coaster, as well as arcade games, mini golf, and a variety of food options.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Palm Springs
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in Phoenix
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada