Natural Bridge Caverns Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Like everything in Texas, the Natural Bridge Caverns are big. In fact, they are the largest known caverns in the state. Discovered near San Antonio in 1960, the Natural Bridge Caverns’ name is taken from the 60-foot (18-meter) natural limestone slab bridge that spans the entrance. During excavations, artifacts dating back to 5000 BC were unearthed. While the caverns are still being explored today, visitors can enjoy adventures ranging from underground cave tours to an enormous outdoor maze.
Natural Bridge Caverns offers visitors many experiences, the most popular being a 75-minute walking tour that travels 180 feet (55 meters) underground through the hallways and various speleothems (formations) made by mineral deposits. Aboveground activities include ziplines, a “canopy explorer course,” and the opportunity to mine for gems, minerals, and fossils.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The temperature inside the cave is a constant 70°F (21°C), and the humidity is steady at 99 percent. Consider bringing a light jacket, as it can feel chilly underground.
- Four caverns tours are available: the standard Discovery Tour, the Hidden Passages Tour, the Lantern Tour, and the Adventure Tour.
- The on-site maze is sure to entertain the whole family.
- While the visitor center is wheelchair-accessible, the caverns are not due to narrow, steep passageways.
How to Get There
Natural Bridge Caverns is about a 30-minute drive north of downtown San Antonio, eight miles (13 kilometers) west of I-35.
When to Get There
The Natural Bridge Caverns are open year-round except on Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. During the holiday season, thousands of twinkling lights illuminate select passages, performers sing Christmas carols, and there’s a fully decorated Christmas village and “reindeer maze.”
Bracken Bat Flight
Just a few miles from Natural Bridge Caverns lies another amazing natural wonder: The evening emergence of one the world’s largest bat colonies. The Bracken Bat Flight consists of millions of free-tailed bats spiraling out of Bracken Cave and taking to the skies on their nightly hunt for insects. Some tours include access to both sites.
Address: 26495 Natural Bridge Caverns Road, Natural Bridge Caverns, Texas, USA
1 Tours and Activities to Experience Natural Bridge Caverns
Set your own pace as you sightseeing with the San Antonio Explorer Pass, valid for 60 days after your first use. Select three, four, or five top attractions, tours, or activities, including perks such as skip-the-line admission. Enjoy discounts and save up to 40 percent on regular ticket prices to sites such as the Texas Ranger Museum, San Antonio River Cruise, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Please note: Enjoy the extra flexibility in case your travel plans need to change: All passes are valid for two year from purchase date and only become activated with your first attraction visit. After activation your pass will be valid for 60 days and/or the remaining number of attraction choices purchased.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What's the best way to experience Natural Bridge Caverns ?
The best ways to experience Natural Bridge Caverns are:See all Natural Bridge Caverns experiences on Viator.
Things to do near San Antonio
- Things to do in Texas
- Things to do in Houston
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in Monterrey
- Things to do in New Orleans
- Things to do in Branson
- Things to do in San Miguel de Allende
- Things to do in Albuquerque
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Guanajuato
- Things to do in Central Mexico