Forte de Santo Antonio da Barra Tours and Tickets
Strategically located at the sharp end of Salvador’s peninsula, the Forte de Santo Antônio da Barra is a historic military structure and lighthouse. The fort, with its recognizable black-and-white-striped lighthouse is one of Salvador’s iconic landmarks. Built in 1549, the fort is the oldest military structure in Brazil and is an example of traditional 16th-century Portuguese military architecture.
The interior of the fort has been transformed into a maritime museum, with intricate models of Portuguese ships from the days of exploration, centuries-old navigating instruments, antique maps and other pieces of history. The museum also houses exhibits on the Portuguese colony’s brutal slave trade, which brought millions across the Atlantic from West Africa.
A highlight of visiting the fort is climbing to the top of the lighthouse, which boasts panoramic views of Salvador and its beautiful coastline. The fort’s geographic location also makes it the ideal place to watch the sunset over the ocean. Every evening, locals and tourists alike gather on the lawn outside the fort to watch the sky light up as the sun dips below the horizon.
Tours and Tickets to Experience Forte de Santo Antonio da Barra
- Carlos Costa Pinto Museum (Museu Carlos Costa Pinto)
- Castro Alves Theater (Teatro Castro Alves)
- Tororo Dike (Dique do Tororó)
- Lacerda Elevator (Elevador Lacerda)
- Salvador Mercado Modelo
- Cidade Alta
- Museu Afro-Brasileiro (MAFRO)
- Itaipava Arena Fonte Nova
- Frades Island (Ilha dos Frades)
- Nosso Senhor do Bonfim Church (Igreja de Nosso Senhor do Bonfim)
- Sao Francisco Church and Convent (Igreja e Convento de Sao Francisco)
- Itaparica Island (Ilha de Itaparica)
- Morro de Sao Paulo