Cathedral of Salta Tours and Activities
The Cathedral of Salta was declared a National Historical Monument on July 14, 1941. The current church is actually the fourth church built in its location in Salta, Argentina. It was completed in the late 1800s by Italian architects Soldati, Giorgi and Righetti. The towers and the facade were designed in an Italian style with Corinthian columns, balustrades and cornices. The two towers and the central body of the church emerge on top of the balustrades. The building has a nave and a cross vault, above which there is a dome with a lantern.
Inside the church is an image of Christ on the crucifix. Legend has it that this image saved the town from being destroyed by an earthquake on Sept. 16, 1692. The priest José Carrión had a revelation that taking this image of Christ out on a procession would end the earthquake. From that day on, the Fiesta del Milagro (Festival of the Miracle) has taken place every second week of September.