Rotorua Museum (Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa) Tours and Activities
The Rotorua region is steeped in New Zealand's history, from the days of the Maori settlers to the advent of European explorers. At the Rotorua Museum(Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa), you'll get an in-depth view of the city's past, seen through cinema, galleries and historic locales.
Spend some time in the Te Arawa and Tarawera galleries, the former of which houses an extensive collection of ancient Maori art and artifacts, as well as treasured antique photographs from the European colonial era. The latter is dedicated to the eruption of Mt. Tarawera and the destruction wreaked in 1886.
After you've explored the galleries, check out the Bath House, an architectural icon of yesteryear known for its supposed curative therapies. Guests were once encourage to bathe here in various types of mineral waters during the health craze of the early 20th century.
Please note: The Rotorua Museum is currently closed for earthquake assessment.
Tours and Activities to Experience Rotorua Museum (Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Tauranga Shore Excursion: Rotorua Wai-O-Tapu Plus Te Puia Geothermals
- Te Puia - Geothermal 6 Hour Guided Tour with Highlights: Shore ExcursionTauranga
- Rotorua Duck Boat Guided City and Lakes Tour
- Auckland to Rotorua via Hobbiton Small Group Tour (One Way)
- Things to do in North Island
- Things to do in Tauranga
- Things to do in Tongariro National Park
- Things to do in Hastings
- Things to do in Waiheke Island
- Things to do in Auckland
- Things to do in Wellington
- Things to do in Picton
- Things to do in Blenheim
- Things to do in Queenstown
- Things to do in South Island
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Akaroa
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in Victoria