Trajan's Market (Mercati di Traiano)
Trajan’s Market, commissioned by Emperor Trajan and designed by Greek architect Apollodorus of Damascus, was constructed between AD 107 and 113 to complete the Forum of Trajan. The market was extensively excavated between the world wars, and today, although Trajan’s Forum is a hodgepodge of fallen columns and plinths, the market is still recognizable. Explore its passageways and main street as part of a small-group ancient Rome tour on foot or by Segway. Also here is the Museum of the Imperial Forums (Museo dei Fori Imperiali), which contains fragments discovered while excavating the archaeological complex, models of ancient temples and buildings, a huge sculpted head of Emperor Constantine, and temporary exhibitions focused on the history of the Roman Empire.
Things to Know Before You Go
Trajan’s Market tours require a bit of walking, so be sure to wear comfortable shoes and a sun hat.
The archaeological site and museum are accessible to wheelchair users.
Flash photography is not allowed inside the museum.
You must check backpacks, large bags, and umbrellas at the cloakroom.
How to Get There
Trajan’s Market is located on the side of Quirinal Hill in Rome’s Forum area along Via Quattro Novembre, a 5-minute walk from Colosseo metro station (line B).
When to Get There
Rome is one of the most popular destinations in Italy and can be crowded for much of the year. It’s best to visit in early spring or late fall, when the temperatures are mild for exploring outdoor archaeological sites and crowds are sparse.
The Imperial Fora
Ancient Rome once had five Imperial Forums: the Forum of Caesar, the Forum of Augustus, the Forum of Nerva, the Forum of Trajan, and the Forum of Vespasian. These are concentrated around the area around Via dei Fori Imperiali, near the famous Roman Forum.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Domus Romane of Palazzo Valentini (Le Domus Romane di Palazzo Valentini)
- Piazza Venezia
- Vittorio Emmanuele II Monument (Vittoriano)
- Trajan's Column (Colonna di Traiano)
- Ancient Rome
- Vittoriano Museum Complex (Complesso del Museo Vittoriano)
- Piazza del Campidoglio
- Quirinale Palace (Palazzo del Quirinale)
- Capitoline Hill and Museums (Campidoglio e Musei Capitolini)
- Temple of Caesar (Tempio di Cesare)
- Santi Cosma e Damiano Church (Chiesa dei Santi Cosma e Damiano)
- House of the Vestal Virgins (Casa delle Vestali)
- Oratorio di San Francesco Saverio del Caravita
- Basilica di Santa Maria in Via Lata
- Trevi Fountain (Fontana di Trevi)