Rome Opera House (Teatro dell'Opera di Roma)
The lavish auditorium holds up to 1,600 spectators; three of the tiers have theater boxes, while the uppermost two tiers have graduated rows of seating. The best way to experience the theater is during an evening concert, opera, or ballet performance, available between November and June. Daytime tours are also available once a week. Tours that focus on off-the-beaten-path Rome attractions typically stop to admire the 1920s exteriors of the theater.
Things to Know Before You Go
Purchase tickets to performances in advance to ensure a seat and book a tour via the box office.
The theater is accessible to wheelchairs, though some parts of the tour are not. Confirm accessibility in advance.
Large bags and umbrellas must be checked into the cloakroom.
The dress code for most performances is smart casual; evening dress is requested on opening nights and premiers.
How to Get There
The Teatro dell’Opera di Roma is located on Piazza Beniamino Gigli in central Rome, just steps from the main Termini train station. The opera house is easy to reach from locations across the city via metro A line; disembark at the Repubblica stop.
When to Get There
Though the Opera di Roma performance calendar runs year-round, performances are held in the opera house from November to June; in summer, performances are instead held in the Baths of Caracalla.
Other Performance Venues in Rome
In addition to the Teatro dell’Opera di Roma, you can catch opera and classical music performances at St. Paul’s Within the Walls, known for its Three Tenors and Virtuosi dell'Opera di Roma concerts, and the Oratory of St. Francis Xavier del Caravita (Oratorio di San Francesco Saverio del Caravita), where combined opera and ballet performances are held.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Piazza della Repubblica
- Silvano Toti Globe Theatre
- National Roman Museum (Museo Nazionale Romano)–Palazzo Massimo alle Terme
- St. Paul's Within the Walls Church (Chiesa di San Paolo Entro le Mura)
- Seven Hills of Rome (Sette Colli di Roma)
- Barberini Palace (Palazzo Barberini)
- Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore (Basilica Papale di Santa Maria Maggiore)
- Baths of Diocletian (Terme di Diocleziano)
- Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vittoria)
- Basilica di Santa Prassede
- Triton Fountain (Fontana del Tritone)
- Capuchin Crypt (Cripta dei Frati Cappuccini)
- Quirinale Palace (Palazzo del Quirinale)
- Church of Our Lady of the Conception of the Capuchins (Santa Maria della Concezione dei Capucchini)
- Via Veneto (Via Vittorio Veneto)