St. Paul's Within the Walls Church (Chiesa di San Paolo Entro le Mura)
Using glass from Murano, pre-Raphaelite artist Edward Burne-Jones designed St. Paul’s Within the Walls’ four mosaics that earned the building its recognition as a national monument from the Italian government. That said, St. Paul’s Within the Walls (Chiesa di San Paolo Entro Le Mura) is primarily known as venue for musical performances. Here you can see productions of famous Italian operas such as Giuseppe Verdi’sLa Traviata and Gioachino Rossini’sBarber of Seville, or performances of famous opera arias by singers from the Teatro dell'Opera di Roma or today’s Three Tenors. There are also frequent classical music concerts featuring works by composers including Beethoven, Schubert, and Vivaldi.
Booking tickets to one of the many concerts and performances held at St. Paul’s Within the Walls is the perfect way to both visit the lovely church interior and appreciate its excellent acoustics. The Three Tenors and the Virtuosi dell'Opera di Roma are two of the most popular performances, but there are also symphonic concerts and special musical events on Easter and New Year’s Eve.
Things to Know Before You Go
St. Paul’s Within the Walls is one of Italy’s most important Protestant churches and holds Episcopal services in English each Sunday.
If attending a musical performance, the dress code is smart casual.
The church is accessible to wheelchair users.
How to Get There
The church is located on the corner of Via Nazionale and Via Napoli, about a 10-minute walk from Rome’s Termini train station or near the Piazza Repubblica stop on metro line A.
When to Get There
St. Paul’s Within the Walls is a beautiful backdrop for evening performances, though you can also visit Monday to Friday from 9am to 4:30pm to simply tour the interior.
In addition to concerts and operas, St. Paul’s Within the Walls often holds contemporary art exhibitions, which you can visit during their regular opening hours.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Barberini Palace (Palazzo Barberini)
- Rome Opera House (Teatro dell'Opera di Roma)
- Piazza della Repubblica
- Silvano Toti Globe Theatre
- Church of Santa Maria della Vittoria (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vittoria)
- Triton Fountain (Fontana del Tritone)
- Quirinale Palace (Palazzo del Quirinale)
- Capuchin Crypt (Cripta dei Frati Cappuccini)
- National Roman Museum (Museo Nazionale Romano)–Palazzo Massimo alle Terme
- Seven Hills of Rome (Sette Colli di Roma)
- Church of Our Lady of the Conception of the Capuchins (Santa Maria della Concezione dei Capucchini)
- Via Veneto (Via Vittorio Veneto)
- Hard Rock Cafe Rome
- Piazza Barberini
- Baths of Diocletian (Terme di Diocleziano)