Chiesa Nuova (Chiesa di Santa Maria in Vallicella)
Chiesa Nuova, considered one of the great baroque churches of Rome, houses important paintings like Pietro da Cortona'sTrinity in Glory andAssumption of the Virgin, along with altarpieces by Peter Paul Rubens and Barocci.
Dubbed the “New Church” after being rebuilt in 1575 by St. Philip Neri, Chiesa Nuova—also known as the Chiesa di Santa Maria in Vallicella—has a counter-reformation design with a single nave decorated by Pietro da Cortona'sMiracle of the Madonna della Vallicella. Adjacent to the church is the Casa dei Filippini, home to an oratory designed by the Baroque architect Francesco Borromini.
Chiesa Nuova is a highlight of any walking tour of Rome's baroque churches, which also include the Church of San Giovanni dei Fiorentini and the Church of Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, in addition to Bernini's statues along Ponte Sant'Angelo.
Things to Know Before You Go
To enter the church, visitors must wear clothing that covers their shoulders and knees.
Walking tours of Rome's baroque churches require a significant amount of time on your feet, so wear comfortable shoes, a hat, and sunscreen.
The church is not accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
Photography without flash is permitted inside the church.
How to Get There
The church is located on the Piazza Chiesa Nuova along Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, a short walk down Via del Governo Vecchio from Piazza Navona and midway between St. Peter's Basilica and Piazza Venezia. A number of city busses stop just outside Chiesa Nuova.
When to Get There
Saint Filippo Neri is one of the patron saints of Italy's capital city. On and May 26, his feast day, Chiesa Nuova holds several masses and celebrations in his honor.
Caravaggio and Chiesa Nuova
An altarpiece Caravaggio originally created for Chiesa Nuova only remained in the church for a short time before a Pope took a liking to it and brought it to the Vatican, where it continues to live today at the Vatican’s art museum.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Welcome to Rome
- Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante)
- Church of Santa Maria della Pace (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pace)
- Basilica di Sant'Andrea della Valle
- Leonardo da Vinci Museum (Mostra di Leonardo)
- Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone (Chiesa di Sant'Agnese in Agone)
- Pamphilj Palace (Palazzo Pamphilj)
- Fountain of the Four Rivers (Fontana delle Quattro Fiumi)
- Piazza Navona
- Stadium of Domitian (Stadio di Domiziano)
- Farnese Palace (Palazzo Farnese)
- Saint Angelo Bridge Methodist Church (Chiesa Metodista di Ponte Sant'Angelo)
- Gladiator Museum
- Via Giulia
- Palazzo Altemps