Castel Sant'Angelo National Museum (Museo Nazionale di Castel Sant'Angelo)
Castel Sant’Angelo is located just outside the walls of Vatican City, and many visitors combine a walking tour of St. Peter’s Basilica with a museum visit and a stroll across the picturesque Ponte Sant’Angelo bridge into central Rome. There can be a wait to enter if you don’t book skip-the-line museum tickets in advance, especially during summer. Castel Sant'Angelo and the Colosseum are two of Rome's most stunning sights to visit after sunset, so consider a Rome night tour to see both the castle and amphitheater beautifully illuminated.
Recent reviews from experiences in Rome
Things to Know Before You Go
The five floors inside Castel Sant'Angelo are a maze of rooms and corridors, so wear comfortable shoes.
The large terrace, where Puccini's heroine jumped to her death in his opera Tosca, has spectacular views over the Eternal City.
Kids enjoy the large collection of historic weapons and armor displayed in the museum.
The sumptuous Pope Paul III Papal Apartments are decorated with perfectly preserved Renaissance frescoes, a highlight for art aficionados.
There is an elevator to the fifth floor, but most of the museum is not accessible to wheelchairs.
How to Get There
Castel Sant'Angelo is located along Lungotevere Castello on the banks of the Tiber River, a short walk from St. Peter's Square. The Ottaviano station on Line A of the city’s underground metro system is about a five-minute walk away.
When to Get There
Like all of Rome's most famous historic sites, Castel Sant'Angelo is most crowded during the middle of the day and in summer. To avoid crowds, visit in winter, shortly after opening, or before closing.
Sant’Angelo and the Plague
The name Castel Sant'Angelo dates to AD 590, when the archangel Michael is said to have appeared on top of the fortress to mark the end of the plague that had ripped through Rome.
- Things to do in Lake Bracciano
- Things to do in Lake Bolsena
- Things to do in Assisi
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in San Gimignano
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Umbria
- Things to do in Tuscany
- Tiber River (Fiume Tevere)
- Saint Angelo Bridge Methodist Church (Chiesa Metodista di Ponte Sant'Angelo)
- Leonardo Da Vinci Experience Museum (Museo Leonardo Da Vinci Experience)
- Bramante Staircase (Scala del Bramante)
- Chiesa Nuova (Chiesa di Santa Maria in Vallicella)
- Church of Santa Maria della Pace (Chiesa di Santa Maria della Pace)
- Stadium of Domitian (Stadio di Domiziano)
- Palazzo Altemps
- Basilica di Sant'Agostino
- Via Cola di Rienzo
- Church of Sant'Agnese in Agone (Chiesa di Sant'Agnese in Agone)
- Fountain of the Four Rivers (Fontana delle Quattro Fiumi)
- Piazza Navona
- Welcome to Rome
- Gladiator Museum