Regarded as one of the grandest Chinese monuments in South America, the gazebo offers spectacular views over the city, spanning the coastal lagoons and mountaintops, including the Christ the Redeemer statue atop Corcovado, Ipanema and Copacabana beaches, and Leblon. While more general sightseeing tours of Rio de Janeiro rarely make it to Vista Chinesa, this lookout point almost always features on tours of the city’s Tijuca Rainforest, often combined with a tour of the city’s excellent botanical garden.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Don’t forget your camera; Vista Chinesa offers one of the most photogenic views of Rio.
- Wear sturdy shoes, especially if you plan to hike or cycle to the top.
- Combine your visit to Vista Chinesa with some time spent exploring Tijuca Forest National Park.
How to Get There
The easiest way to reach the Vista Chinesa is by taxi or tour bus, but adventurous types can also tackle the climb on foot or mountain bike—a steep yet scenic 3.7-mile (6-km) trek that’s not for the faint hearted.
When to Get There
On a clear day, the views from Vista Chinesa are almost always spectacular. The area is particularly beautiful at sunrise, when the ornate gazebo is silhouetted against the colorful morning light.
Best Viewpoints in Rio de Janeiro Rio’s mountainous terrain means the city has no shortage of stellar views. Just about every traveler visits Corcovado and Sugar Loaf Mountains, but they’re not the only peaks with worthy views. Dois Irmãos (Two Brothers) Mountain affords one of the best sunrise views, while standing atop Pedra da Gavea gives a true bird’s eye view of the city far below. Adventurous travelers can soak up the views while hang gliding from Pedra Bonita.
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia
- Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden (Jardim Botanico)
- Moreira Salles Institute (Instituto Moreira Salles)
- Lage Park (Parque Lage)
- Leblon Beach (Praia do Leblon)
- Morro Dois Irmaos
- Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon (Lagoa Rodrigo de Freitas)
- Paineiras Road (Estrada das Paineiras)
- Christ the Redeemer Statue (Cristo Redentor)
- Mirante Dona Marta
- Pedra Bonita
- Ipanema Hippie Fair (Feira Hippie de Ipanema)
- Ipanema Beach (Praia de Ipanema)
- Cosme Velho
- Corcovado Train (Trem do Corcovado)