Praca Quinze de Novembro
Standing in the center of Praca Quinze de Novembro is a way to literally and symbolically stand at the center of Brazilian history. It was here that Brazil declared itself a republic in 1822, and here that Pedro and Pedro II were coronated as emperors. It’s where slavery was abolished in modern Brazil, and where Carmelite convents and churches were erected as far back as 1590. It’s the heart of the city’s historic district, and when the city was only accessible by boat, was the first place that travelers would see the moment they stepped foot in Rio. Today, while much of Rio’s more popular sights have moved to the southern beaches, the Praca Quinze continues to exude a classic, colonial charm. Stroll past the former city cathedral and famous Arco dos Teles, and admire the Corinthian columns rising in front of Tiradentes Palace. This site also houses the Paço Imperial that served as a Brazilian political center for 150 years, and is constantly abuzz with the comings and goings of passengers riding the ferry. When spending a day in downtown Rio, Praca Quinze is the place to start a historical tour on foot, and while the square no longer exudes the grandeur it did in the 1800s, it’s still in many ways the beating heart of Rio de Janeiro.
Tours and tickets to Experience Praca Quinze de Novembro
Should I book Praca Quinze de Novembro tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Praca Quinze de Novembro 2021?
What's the best way to experience Praca Quinze de Novembro?
- Ancient Rio and Santa Teresa Tour with Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- A step on the Ponte walking tour.
- Rio de Janeiro Half-Day Walking Tour
- Bike tour through the most beautiful bike path in Brazil
Things to do near Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in North Chile
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in Lake District