Morro da Urca
Sitting in the shadow of big brother and Rio de Janeiro icon, Sugar Loaf Mountain, the Morro da Urca is just as important if only because the cable car trip up to Sugar Loaf includes a stop atop this turtle shell-shaped rock. Not to be outdone by its better-known neighbor, the 720-foot hill, a little more than half Sugar Loaf’s height of 1,300 feet, still offers spectacular panoramic views of Christ the Redeemer and Corcovado, Copacabana and Ipanema beaches, Guanabara Bay, downtown Rio, and Sugar Loaf itself (something you can’t see when you’re actually on it).
At the top of the Morro da Urca, the visitors’ center provides elevators for special needs guests, restrooms, and souvenir and food concessions. Hiking trails skirt the Morro, starting at Praia Vermelho, but one of the most exhilarating options available, if not exactly popular or cheap, is a helicopter ride around Sugar Loaf and over nearby Copacabana. Make sure to plan your visit on a cloudless day, or you might be squinting into the cumulus. Also, don’t forget the Morro’s namesake, the tiny and historic district of Urca, sits squeezed between the mountains and the bay, offering restaurants and bars with gorgeous views of the water and an intoxicating tropical ambiance.
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience Morro da Urca?
- Full Day in Rio: Christ the Redeemer, Sugarloaf, Maracana and Selaron with Lunch
- Full Day Complete Tour of Rio de Janeiro
- Sugar Loaf Mountain Half-Day Tour
- Rio Sunset Tour Including Sugarloaf, Christ the Redeemer, Cathedral and Selaron
Things to do near Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Ilha Grande
- Things to do in Búzios
- Things to do in Paraty
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Curitiba
- Things to do in Balneario Camboriu
- Things to do in South Brazil
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in Florianopolis
- Things to do in Porto Seguro
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina