Lorelei Rock (Loreley Rock) Tours and Activities
Read MoreShow Less
A riverside highlight, Loreley Rock is one of the Rhine’s most storied landmarks. The slate rock soars some 433 feet (132 meters) in the air, and, according to mythology, was once frequented by a beautiful siren who lured sailors to their deaths. Today, the promontory is a popular sightseeing stop.
Loreley Rock is located along the Upper Middle Rhine Valley, a UNESCO-listed section of the Rhine River that stretches 40 miles (65 kilometers) between Koblenz and Bingen. This narrow section of the river was known for treacherous rapids, which might explain the shipwrecking siren myths. To visit, join a Rhine riverboat tours—from single-day jaunts to multi-day journeys—many of which sail by Loreley Rock. The intrepid can hike the summit for river views.
Things to Know Before You Go
- For those exploring on foot, stop by Loreley Visitor’s Center, which provides information about the region. It's open daily from March–October and on weekends from November–February.
- Loreley Rock is near several of the Rhine’s top castles, including Katz Castle, Maus Castle, and Rheinfels Castle.
- The Loreley story has been a popular German legend for centuries, and composers ranging from Shostakovich to Strauss have used it as creative inspiration.
How to Get There
Loreley Rock is located along the Rhine Gorge between Koblenz and Bingen. Given the region’s rugged topography, it is most easily accessible by boat tour. If traveling by car, the landmark can be reached via the Bundesstraße 42. Free parking is available at Loreley Visitor’s Center.
When to Get There
Both Loreley Rock and the Upper Middle Rhine Valley are best visited in the high season between April–October, when boats run daily. Some river boat tours cease operating entirely in colder months.
In addition to Loreley Rock, the nearby Loreley Statue is another regional sightseeing highlight. Installed in 1983, the bronze statue depicts the seated and somber figure of Loreley. It is located on a slight spit of land that juts into the river and can be reached on foot.
Address: St. Goar, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
1 Tours and Activities to Experience Lorelei Rock (Loreley Rock)
Revel in the beauty and history of one of Europe's great waterways with this hop-on/hop-off cruise pass on the romantic Rhine River. Admire passing scenery like legendary Loreley Rock and imposing castles while sipping a coffee or beer on deck, and customize your itinerary with 19 different stops at tiny medieval towns and bigger cities along the way. The pass is valid all day on the UNESCO-listed Middle Rhine from Cologne to Linz and Koblenz to Mainz.
Taking safety measures
Face masks required for travelers in public areas
Face masks required for guides in public areas
Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What's the best way to experience Lorelei Rock (Loreley Rock)?
The best ways to experience Lorelei Rock (Loreley Rock) are:See all Lorelei Rock (Loreley Rock) experiences on Viator.
Things to do near Rhine River
- Things to do in Cologne
- Things to do in South Holland
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Flanders
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Eindhoven
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in North Holland
- Things to do in Champagne
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Central Switzerland