Things to Do in Reykjavik This Fall
Fall is the perfect shoulder season in Reykjavik: The landscape is vibrant with color, and the darkness and chill of winter have yet to arrive. During your autumnal stay, plan a wide-ranging itinerary that blends trips into nature with cultural excursions and culinary adventures—here’s how to make the most of a fall visit to the Icelandic capital.
- Enjoy the fresh, crisp air and vibrant fall colors when you go on a horseback riding tour.
- Indulge in a soothing soak in one of the region’s natural thermal springs.
- See the mighty Gullfoss waterfall before it freezes over during a Golden Circle day trip.
- Sample delicious traditional Icelandic cuisine on a tour of Reykjavik’s best restaurants.
- Embark on a whale-watching tour to see these giants of the deep during their autumn migrations.
- Tour Reykjavik’s major landmarks from the cozy comfort of a minibus.
- Admire volcanoes, lava beaches, and waterfalls juxtaposed with an autumnal color palette during a visit to Snaefellsnes National Park.
- Embark on a sea-fishing adventure, and barbecue your catch onboard.
- Head indoors and discover Reykjavik’s highlight museums, from the Reykjavik Museum of Photography to the Reykjavik Maritime Museum.
- Plan a fun and festive night out with a wine-bar excursion or pub crawl.