San Francisco Church (Iglesia de San Francisco) Tours and Activities
Nestled in the historic downtown area of Quito, visitors find the first Catholic Church built in the city, the San Francisco Church (Iglesia de San Francisco). The amazing architecture of this Baroque church blends different styles that were incorporated over the more than 100 years of construction.
The church stands on the open San Francisco Plaza, where the city once drew its water, held weekly food markets and general meetings and where military and political demonstrations took place.
Construction of the church started in the 1530s, shortly after the Spaniards arrived in Ecuador. Although much of the church has been rebuilt due to earthquake damage, some of it is original, and it constitutes the largest colonial structure in the city.
The churches and cloisters stand on almost two whole blocks and include an atrium, a courtyard and a convent. The atrium runs along the length of the public square, with access to the plaza by means of a fan-shaped staircase. Franciscan fathers still live here and work to help the poor.
The entrance is adorned with images of the sun, decorations that were used to attract indigenous communities to the Catholic Church. Combinations of indigenous and Catholic symbols are repeated throughout the church. The interior of the church shows a Moorish influence on the walls and columns, which are covered in gold leafing. Of the 3,500 works of art, many are from the Quito School of art.
Tours and Activities to Experience San Francisco Church (Iglesia de San Francisco)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Quito Old Town Tour with Gondola Ride and Visit to the Equator
- Quito City Tour Including Teleférico and Horse Ride in Pichincha Volcano
- Full Day Quito City Tour Including Teleférico and Mitad del Mundo
- Private Full Day Quito City and Middle of the World Monument Tour
- Things to do in Mindo
- Things to do in Nueva Loja
- Things to do in Armenia
- Things to do in Chachapoyas
- Things to do in Iquitos
- Things to do in Bogotá
- Things to do in Chiclayo
- Things to do in Medellín
- Things to do in Andes
- Things to do in North Coast
- Things to do in Osa Peninsula & Gulfo Dulce
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Central Pacific