St. Nicholas Church (Kostel Sv. Mikuláse)
A superb example of high baroque architecture, St. Nicholas Church is as impressive inside as it is from the outside. The interior was said to have been inspired by the chapel of St. Louis-des-Invalides in Paris: its intricate frescoes, grand sculptures, and elegant stucco designs make it a striking place to visit either independently or as part of a larger walking tour of Prague. The dome has an impressive diameter of 66 feet (20 meters), and it has the highest interior (over 160 feet or 49 meters) in Prague. The church’s main organ—once played by Mozart—is 20 feet (six meters) long and features more than 4,000 pipes.
Some Prague walking tours only visit the exterior of the church, but, if you want a closer look at the spectacular interior, you can join a tour that includes a tour inside.
Things to know before you go
- In a city with many baroque buildings, St. Nicholas Church is Prague’s most notable baroque church.
- There is an admission fee to enter the church—children under 10 get in free.
- As it is a working church, remember to dress conservatively.
- The church is not heated, so dress warmly is attending a concert in the evening.
How to get there
Just a 15-minute walk, over the Charles Bridge, from Old Town Square, Letná Park is easily accessible from the center. If traveling by Prague Metro, take Line A to Malostranská (a 10-minute walk), or take tram number 1, 8, 25, or 26 to Letenské náměstí (a 12-minute walk).
When to get there
The church is open to visitors year-round, seven days a week, from 9am. Closing time varies throughout the year between 4pm and 5pm. Last entry is 15 minutes before closing. A regular Holy Mass is celebrated in this church every Sunday at 8:30pm.
St. Nicholas Church is the setting for classical music concerts held from the end of March until the beginning of November daily at 6pm, every evening except for Tuesdays. During Advent and Christmas concerts, there are also concerts from 5pm on select days. The concerts last one hour.
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Hradcany (Castle Hill)
- John Lennon Wall
- Church of Our Lady Victorious (Kostel Panny Marie Vitezne)
- Czech Museum of Music (Ceske Muzeum Hudby)
- Nerudova Street (Nerudova Ulice)
- Prague Castle (Prazský Hrad)
- Kampa Island
- Museum Kampa
- Franz Kafka Museum (Muzeum Franze Kafky)
- Lobkowicz Palace (Lobkowický Palác)
- Charles Bridge (Karluv Most)
- KGB Museum
- Golden Lane (Zlata Ulicka)
- Bedrich Smetana Museum (Muzeum Bedricha Smetany)
- Old Town Bridge Tower