With one day in Porto, sample a little bit of everything, from the historic center—a UNESCO World Heritage Site—to the city’s port wine lodges. Here are a few ways to plan your time.
Santo Inácio Zoo
R. 5 de Outubro 4503, Avintes, Porto, 4430-809
The zoo animals all live in spacious environments, designed to closely approximate their natural habitats. The zoo’s different environments include the African Savannah, where you can see giraffes, rhinos, wildebeest, zebras, and ostriches; the Tropical Greenhouse, home to various tropical birds including parrots; and the Reptile House, which houses more than 50 species of reptiles and amphibians. Visitors can also walk through the Asian lions’ habitat via a glass tunnel that offers a close-up, but protected, view.
Things to Know Before You Go
Santo Inácio Zoo is a must-visit for animal lovers.
Children under 2 enter free of charge.
The zoo is stroller- and wheelchair-accessible.
There is a restaurant on-site.
How to Get There
The zoo is a 20-minute drive from the center of Porto. From April through October, the zoo runs an express bus service to and from Porto Cathedral for a small fee. Otherwise, you can take the MGC bus from Devesas station in Porto.
When to Get There
The zoo is open daily, with extended hours during the summer season (April through October). It is closed on December 25 and January 1 and busiest on weekends and school holidays.
The zoo offers various demonstrations every day, including seeing the birds of prey in action and watching the penguins, lions, lemurs, and otters being fed. Check the website for a list of demonstrations and times.
- Things to do in Northern Portugal
- Things to do in Braga
- Things to do in Peso Da Regua
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Vigo
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in La Coruna
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in Galicia
- Porto Calem Wine Cellars
- Dom Luis Bridge (Ponte de Dom Luis I)
- Porto Cathedral (Sé Catedral do Porto)
- Church of São Francisco (Igreja de São Francisco)
- Palace of the Stock Exchange (Palácio da Bolsa)
- Museum of Our Lady of Mercy of Porto (Museu da Misericórdia do Porto)
- Liberdade Square (Praça da Liberdade)
- Avenida dos Aliados
- Clérigos Church and Tower (Torre & Igreja dos Clérigos)
- Rua Santa Catarina
- Porto Bridge Climb
- Casa da Música
- Serralves Museum (Fundação de Serralves)
- SEA LIFE® Porto