Porto Bridge Climb
Guides kit out all climbers in safety equipment, including harnesses, and lead visitors 262 steps up to the top, 210 feet (65 meters) above the Douro River. Here you stop to take in the views and enjoy a delicious treat as a reward for your efforts. Along the way, your guide provides information about the history of the bridge and the city of Porto.
Things to Know Before You Go
Porto Bridge Climb is a must-visit for sightseers and adventure seekers.
Climbs are made in small groups of no more than 13 people.
Climbers must be at least 12 years old.
You can take photos at the top and bottom, but not during the climb.
Climbers should wear comfortable shoes. Slippers and high heels are prohibited, and skirts and dresses are not recommended.
How to Get There
The starting point for Porto Bridge Climb is on the west side of the bridge, on the north bank of the Douro River. It’s a 25-minute walk from Ribeira, or you can take tram 1 or bus STCP 500 to the Ponte Arrábida stop, a short stroll away.
When to Get There
You can make the climb any day of the week, year-round, except on December 24 and 25 and Easter Sunday. Beginning in the early afternoon, climbs run approximately every 45 minutes until just after sunset. The experience lasts around 30 minutes. Also look for night climbs on full-moon nights.
After your climb, you can learn more about the Arrábida Bridge, its construction, and the other five bridges that connect Porto and Gaia at a small exhibition located at the base of the bridge—the same place the tours begin.
- Things to do in Northern Portugal
- Things to do in Braga
- Things to do in Peso Da Regua
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Vigo
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in La Coruna
- Things to do in Sintra
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in Galicia
- Casa da Música
- Serralves Museum (Fundação de Serralves)
- Clérigos Church and Tower (Torre & Igreja dos Clérigos)
- Church of São Francisco (Igreja de São Francisco)
- Museum of Our Lady of Mercy of Porto (Museu da Misericórdia do Porto)
- Palace of the Stock Exchange (Palácio da Bolsa)
- Liberdade Square (Praça da Liberdade)
- Porto Cathedral (Sé Catedral do Porto)
- Avenida dos Aliados
- Dom Luis Bridge (Ponte de Dom Luis I)
- Porto Calem Wine Cellars
- Rua Santa Catarina
- SEA LIFE® Porto
- Matosinhos Beach