Silver Pagoda (Wat Preah Keo)
While visiting the Royal Palace in Phnom Penh, it’s almost impossible to miss the Silver Pagoda (Wat Preah Keo), an impressive, opulent structure. With a floor that’s covered with five tons of silver, a Baccarat-crystal Buddha perched on a gilded pedestal (known as the Emerald Buddha) and a life-sized solid-gold Buddha that weighs almost 200 pounds (90 kg) and is covered with 9,584 diamonds (the largest is 25 carats), a visit to the Silver Pagoda is one that is not easily forgotten. Though they’re hard to get a peek at (they’re covered up for protection), see if you can get a look at one of the more than 5,000 silver tiles that were inlaid during King Norodom Sihanouk's pre-Khmer Rouge reign and are the reason for the temple’s nickname.
Though the temple’s true name is Wat Preah Keo Morokat, which means Temple of the Emerald Buddha, the moniker The Silver Pagoda the more common name. Built between 1892 and 1902 under King Norodom, it’s an interesting structure—it’s actually separated from the Royal Palace by a walled walkway, but it’s still located on palace grounds, in the larger complex. Unlike most pagodas, no monks live here—instead, it’s the pagoda where the King meets with monks to listen to their sermons and where some Royal ceremonies are performed. Be sure to check out the gorgeous Ramayana frescoes that are painted on the walls and see the Buddha relic from Sri Lanka, which is housed in a small gold and silver stupa in front of the life-sized gold Buddha.
Silver Pagoda (Wat Preah Keo) Tours and Activities
What are Silver Pagoda (Wat Preah Keo) hours of operation?
Should I book Silver Pagoda (Wat Preah Keo) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Silver Pagoda (Wat Preah Keo) 2021?
What's the best way to experience Silver Pagoda (Wat Preah Keo)?
- 4-Day Cambodia Highlights Tour from Phnom Penh with Angkor Wat
- Private Tour: Phnom Penh City Tour Full Day
- Phnom Penh Small Group City Tour, Silver Pagoda,Genocide Museum, Killing Fields
- Excursion Phnom Penh Full Days Private Tours
Things to do near Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Sihanoukville
- Things to do in Phu Quoc
- Things to do in Ho Chi Minh City
- Things to do in Angkor Wat
- Things to do in Battambang
- Things to do in Siem Reap
- Things to do in Vung Tau
- Things to do in Ko Chang
- Things to do in Pattaya
- Things to do in Nha Trang
- Things to do in Bangkok
- Things to do in Hua Hin
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam
- Things to do in Gulf of Thailand