Tikal National Park (Parque Nacional Tikal)
Tikal National Park (Parque Nacional Tikal) stands apart from other sites of Mayan ruins due to its location deep in the jungle and its easy access, as the roads leading to one of the most popular attractions in Central America are well-maintained. Guided tours make it seamless to visit the ruins on a bus, shuttle, or airplane from as near as Flores or as far as Antigua and Guatemala City, or across the border from San Ignacio, Belize—even on a day trip. Those who want to stay longer can take an overnight tour or book a hostel or campground for the night, which gives opportunity to watch the sunrise from the top of an ancient pyramid.
Things to Know Before You Go
It’s best to book a tour with round-trip transportation or plan to stay the night as Tikal is in a somewhat remote location.
Some of the not-to-miss highlights include Temple of the Grand Jaguar, Northern Acropolis, and Temple of Inscriptions.
Visitors can explore an onsite museum to learn more about the ruins’ history and rediscovery.
Lodging and camping are available outside the park.
How to Get There
As one of the most popular attractions in the region, Tikal is easy to access. The ruins are located in El Peten, and regular shuttles run from Guatemala City, Antigua, Lake Atitlan, and Belize. Flights help you make the most of your time, as the shuttle rides can last upwards of 12 hours. Many guided tours include worry-free transportation.
When to Get There
Visit during the rainy season, generally May through October, for the fewest crowds (though come prepared with rain gear). Park hours are 6am to 6pm and are strictly enforced.
Lord of Chocolate
As the capital of a conquest state, Tikal served as a center for trade and economy, growing to a population of almost 100,000 before its decline. Some of its more noteworthy characters include Jasaw Chan K'awiil I, also known as Au Cacao (Lord Chocolate!), who conquered the chief rival Mayan state of Calakmul around 695 AD.
- Things to do in Flores
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Things to do in San Ignacio
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Oaxaca
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Lake Peten Itza (Lago Petén Itzá)
- Maya Biosphere Reserve (Reserva de la Biosfera Maya)
- Petencito Zoo
- Ixpanpajul Natural Park (Parque Natural Ixpanpajul)
- Actún Can Caves
- El Mirador
- Petén Forest
- Seibal (Ceibal)
- Aguateca Archaeological Site
- Pasión River (Rio La Pasión)
- Estación Biológica las Guacamayas (EBG)