Penang House of Music
The Penang House of Music tells the story of the city’s music scene over the years, with a particular focus on the formative years of the 1940s to the 1960s. The informative and entertaining attraction is also a historical archive, with a large collection of recordings, programs, magazines, and other memorabilia related to Penang’s music scene. Most travelers visit independently, as the Penang House of Music is a special-interest museum rather than a part of Penang’s main tourist trail.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Penang House of Music is a must for music lovers and those interested in Malysian pop culture.
The gift shop sells a range of music-related souvenirs, including CDs and books.
The museum’s exhibit area is wheelchair-accessible, but the restrooms are not.
How to Get There
Located on Jalan Penang in the George Town area, the Penang House of Music is on the fourth floor of the 65-story Komtar building, the tallest structure in the city. Penang is best navigated on foot or by bus, and Rapid Penang buses stop at the Komtar building’s ground-floor bus terminal.
When to Get There
The Penang House of Music is open every day from late morning until evening and is rarely crowded. As its opening hours are longer than some other attractions, it’s is an ideal destination for a family evening out. Look for periodic, free “night at the gallery” evenings, where local artists come to perform.
Komtar Viewing Deck
In addition to the Penang House of Music, the Komtar building hosts a 58th-floor viewing deck that makes a great stop before or after visiting the museum. The views stretch across the city and to the straits, coin-operated telescopes allow viewers to zoom in on points of interest, and a shop sells souvenirs.
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Ko Lipe
- Things to do in Hat Yai
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Ko Lanta
- Things to do in Ko Phi Phi Don
- Things to do in Krabi
- Things to do in Phuket
- Things to do in Koh Samui
- Things to do in Phnom Penh
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Little India
- Upside Down Museum
- Penang Armenian Street (Lebuh Armenian)
- Khoo Kongsi (Leong San Tong Khoo Kongsi Clan House & Museum)
- George Town (Penang Georgetown)
- Asia Camera Museum Penang
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion (Blue Mansion)
- Penang State Museum and Art Gallery
- Wonderfood Museum Penang
- Pinang Peranakan Mansion
- Penang Tunnel Museum (Penang Time Tunnel)
- Made in Penang Interactive Museum
- Fort Cornwallis
- Chayamangkalaram Buddhist Temple (Wat Chayamangkalaram)