Palais de Chaillot
Built on the site of the former Palais du Trocadéro, the Palais de Chaillot is both a major architectural highlight and a cultural heavyweight. The palace—a symbol of Parisian art deco design—is now host to three museums: the Musée National de la Marine (a maritime museum), the Musée de l’Homme (an anthropology museum), and the Cité de l’Architecture et du Patrimoine (dedicated to architecture and monumental sculpture). The palace also houses the Théâtre National de Chaillot and the Aquarium de Paris. Altogether, it is one of Paris’ major cultural complexes.
The Palais de Chaillot can be seen during bike tours, driving tours, and even Seine river cruises. It’s easy to explore the landmark (and its various institutions) independently, too.
Things to know before you go
*The Musée National de la Marine is closed for extensive renovations, and is slated to reopen in 2021. *Visitors are forbidden from bringing luggage and large bags into the Palais Chaillot. *In addition to the museums’ own cafés and eateries, Maison Pradier Foyer de Chaillot, located in the landmark’s foyer, is a good place to stop for a casual bite. *The Palais de Chaillot is accessible to wheelchair users and those with limited mobility.
How to get there
The Palais de Chaillot is located in the 16th arrondissement on the Place du Trocadéro. To reach the landmark via public transportation, take Métro lines 6 and 9 to Trocadéro, or use the 22, 30, 32, 63, 72, and 82 buses. It can also be reached on foot, by taxi, or by bike.
When to get there
Institutions within the Palais de Chaillot all have different opening hours, so it’s worth researching specifics in advance of your visit, though the majority are closed on Tuesdays. Many host changing exhibitions and events, while the Théâtre National de Chaillot’s performance schedule is ever-changing; it’s worth planning repeat visits.
- Things to do in Île-de-France
- Things to do in Marne-la-Vallée
- Things to do in Blois
- Things to do in Deauville City
- Things to do in Lille
- Things to do in Dijon
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Bruges
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Nantes
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Normandy
- Things to do in Nord-Pas de Calais
- National Marine Museum (Musee National de la Marine)
- Architecture and Heritage City (Cite de l'Architecture et du Patrimoine)
- Paris Aquarium (Aquarium de Paris)
- Guimet Museum (Musée Guimet)
- Paris Wine Museum (Musée du Vin Paris)
- 58 Tour Eiffel Restaurant
- Eiffel Tower
- Palais de Tokyo
- Quai Branly Museum (Musée du Quai Branly)
- Les Ombres Restaurant
- Musée Yves Saint Laurent Paris
- Pont de l'Alma (Alma Bridge)
- Champs de Mars
- Paris Sewer Museum (Musée des Égouts de Paris)
- Crazy Horse Cabaret