Often overlooked by ruin-hungry travelers, Fabrica Hill is strewn with ancient remnants, including a Hellenistic pebble mosaic, a network of quarry caves, and a Roman theater carved into its southern slope. The summit provides stunning views out across Kato Paphos, Paphos Archaeological Park, and the Mediterranean beyond.
Some ancient history-focused tours of Paphos will make a stop at Fabrica Hill, along with Paphos Archaeological Park, the Tombs of Kings, and St. Paul’s Pillar, where the apostle was supposedly tied up and whipped as punishment for preaching Christianity. Many hop-on hop-off bus tours of Paphos stop at all the major ancient sites, making it possible for visitors to do a self-guided tour. There is very little signage on Fabrica Hill so it can be good to go with a guide who can provide context and commentary.
Things to know before you go
- Fabrica Hill is a must for fans of ancient history.
- The ground is rocky and uneven; wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes.
- Bring a torch to explore inside the quarry caves, and a camera to capture the views from the top.
How to get there
A trail leads up Fabrica Hill from Apostolou Pavlou Avenue, near the Kings Avenue Mall. Walking to the trail from the harbor or bus station takes just 10 minutes.
When to get there
With little tourist infrastructure here, Fabrica Hill tends to escape the attention of most travelers, meaning it is usually quiet. Avoid visiting between midday and mid-afternoon when the heat and light in this exposed area can be intense.
The Roman Theater
The Roman Theater on Fabrica Hill is thought to date back to 300 BC. The theater was built into the side of the hill and could hold more than 8,500 spectators in its 2nd-century heyday. Excavations took place between 2007 and 2016. Although the Roman Theater is not as well preserved as Paphos’ Odeon amphitheater, it is nevertheless an impressive sight to behold.
- Things to do in Limassol
- Things to do in Nicosia
- Things to do in Larnaca
- Things to do in Ayia Napa
- Things to do in Protaras
- Things to do in Alanya
- Things to do in Antalya
- Things to do in Beirut
- Things to do in Fethiye
- Things to do in Tel Aviv
- Things to do in Jerusalem
- Things to do in Rhodes
- Things to do in Famagusta District
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Things to do in West Bank
- St Paul’s Pillar
- Panagia Chrysopolitissa Church (Agia Kyriaki Chrysopolitissa)
- Paphos Archaeological Park
- House of Dionysos
- Tombs of the Kings
- Super Aphrodite Waterpark
- Yeroskipou (Geroskipou)
- Agios Neophytos Monastery
- Adonis Baths
- Pafos Zoo
- Rock of Aphrodite (Petra tou Romiou)
- Lara Bay Turtle Conservation Station