Part of the Agua Caliente Indian Reservation, Tahquitz Canyon is known for its rock art and 60-foot (18-meter waterfall located at the end of a hiking trail. It’s a popular activity for those looking for an outdoor attraction that’s not too far from Palm Springs.
With its location on the edge of town, Tahquitz Canyon is easy to visit during your time in Palm Springs. The 1.8-mile (2.9-kilometer) loop hike to reach Tahquitz Waterfall starts at the visitor center at the entrance to the canyon. You’ll gain 350 feet (107 meters) in elevation as you navigate the steep, rocky trail, including rock steps.
Things to know before you go
- There is very little shade in the canyon, so bring plenty of water and sun protection.
- Make sure you wear appropriate shoes for the rugged terrain.
- The visitor center features cultural exhibits and artifacts.
- During dry seasons (or years), the waterfall may have little to no water.
How to get there
The canyon entrance is located off West Mesquite Avenue, just southwest of downtown Palm Springs. Bus number 1 stops a short walk from the site.
When to get there
Tahquitz Canyon is open daily from October to June and on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from July to September. Guided ranger hikes take place a few times a day from October to June and once a day from July to September.
Also part of the reservation tribal lands, Indian Canyons is the ancestral home of the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians and is made up of three canyons: Palm Canyon, Andreas Canyon, and Murray Canyon. More than 60 miles (95 kilometers) of hiking trails can be found here.
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in La Jolla
- Things to do in Anaheim & Buena Park
- Things to do in San Diego
- Things to do in Long Beach
- Things to do in Los Angeles
- Things to do in Santa Monica
- Things to do in Las Vegas
- Things to do in Santa Barbara
- Things to do in Pismo Beach
- Things to do in Scottsdale
- Things to do in San Luis Obispo
- Things to do in Paso Robles
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in Nevada