Valença do Minho
Valença do Minho, in Portugal across the border formed by the Minho River, was originally a fortress town built to protect the frontier from Spanish incursion. Now, Spanish incursion is encouraged; indeed, Spaniards cross into this little town to purchase its renowned textiles, especially its terry cloth.
The fortress is one of the most popular attractions in Portugal. The old town is surrounded by its huge stone ramparts. Here you'll find narrow alleys - and the textile shops. This little market district is well known for its garments and typical Portuguese souvenirs like gold jewelry, pottery, lingerie and wine. Market fairs include São Teotónio in February, Our Lady of Cabeça during Easter, and in August, Our Lady of Health Fair and the Muncipality Festival.
Beyond the shopping opportunities, the fortress affords visitors magnificient views of the Minho River and the surrounding countryside, as well as the comparatively new part (the ramparts and old town were built in the 18th century) of Valenca. Nearby are two fortified villages, Caminha and Monçao. The former is still a quaint fishing village with curio shops and a bustling lace industry. The latter is known for its hot springs and accompanying health spa.
Valenca do Minho is a fun day trip, and it's not far from a number of wineries (in the area around Monçao) and beaches, southwest of Caminha. Another nearby village, Melgaco, is notable for its 12th-century castle, Romanesque chapel and wineries. A popular destination in this area are inns known as pousadas. Some of these are built in or near castles or other historical points of interest, and many are just as old. Others have modern accomodations. Bed-and-breakfast fans should take note.
- Things to do in Porto
- Things to do in Peso Da Regua
- Things to do in Braga
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in Galicia
- Things to do in Castile and León
- Things to do in Vigo
- Things to do in Coimbra
- Things to do in Santiago de Compostela
- Things to do in La Coruna
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Things to do in Basque Country
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Viana do Castelo
- Peneda-Gerês National Park (Parque Nacional Da Peneda-Gerês)
- Braga Cathedral (Sé de Braga)
- Guimarães Castle (Castelo de Guimarães)
- Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Oliveira
- Matosinhos Beach
- SEA LIFE® Porto
- Serralves Museum (Fundação de Serralves)
- Casa da Música
- Rua Santa Catarina
- Amarante Water Park (Parque Aquático Amarante)
- Porto Bridge Climb