Verdant Works Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Explore the history of Dundee’s jute industry at Verdant Works, an interactive museum situated in a refurbished 19th century mill. Learn about the city’s industrial textile past and about tenement life and mill workers through immersive, interactive exhibits and multimedia displays, and see historic equipment at work.
Sometimes known as Scotland’s Jute Museum, Verdant Works is a fascinating, family-friendly attraction. Visitors can explore the 19th century courtyard, admire the refurbished mill’s architecture, and learn about jute harvests and production. Catch a demonstration of an 1801 Boulton & Watt steam engine, and see how jute is turned into finished cloth. Exhibits also offer insight into what work, life, and leisure time meant for the mill workers of Dundee.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Verdant Works is a family-friendly destination that history lovers won’t want to miss.
- Booking admission tickets in advance is recommended.
- Boulton & Watt steam engine demonstrations are held daily.
- The museum has a café and a gift shop on site.
- Verdant Works is wheelchair accessible, though the cobbled courtyard entrance may be difficult to navigate. Wheelchairs can be borrowed free of charge.
- Concession rates are available, and children under 5 enter for free.
- Visitors can save money with a joint Verdant Works and Discovery Point admission ticket.
How to Get There
The easiest way to reach Verdant Works, in Blackness, Dundee, is by private vehicle: follow directions for Dundee’s city center, then look for Verdant Works signposts. There is parking nearby. Alternatively, take the train to Dundee station—or the bus from Fife to Greenmarket, just outside the railway station—and walk ten minutes to Verdant Works.
When to Get There
Verdant Works is an all-weather attraction perfect for rainy days in Dundee. The museum is open all year round except for major holidays, and hours change seasonally.
Often overlooked in favor of Edinburgh, Dundee has plenty to offer the curious visitorto Scotland. Visit Discovery Point and Verdant Works with a handy combo ticket, then stop by V&A, an international design center and museum on the waterfront; the impressive city square; and other attractions in this walkable city.
Address: W Henderson's Wynd, Dundee, Northeast Scotland DD1 5BT, Scotland
Admission Tickets (1)
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Verdant Works
No results found!
Dundee experienced rapid growth during the Industrial Revolution because of its textile industry—and in particular jute cloth production. A trip to Verdant Works will help you to understand the history of Dundee’s textile trade, and hear fascinating tales of the mill workers. You won’t have to waste time in long lines at the entrance, as admission tickets are provided. Explore a stunningly refurbished Mill building, see machines at work, watch films, and enjoy interactive displays too.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
Should I book Verdant Works tickets in advance?
We recommend booking e-tickets ahead of time to secure your spot since Verdant Works can get crowded. If you book with Viator, you can cancel at least 24 hours before the start date of your tour for a full refund. See all 0 Verdant Works tickets and tours on Viator.
How much does it cost to visit Verdant Works 2020?
Currently, an entrance ticket to Verdant Works costs USD 15.25. Guided Verdant Works tours start around USD 15.25 per person. See all 0 Verdant Works tickets and tours on Viator.
What's the best way to experience Verdant Works?
Things to do near Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in Aberdeen
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Fort William
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in Western Ireland
- Things to do in South East Ireland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West Ireland