Tucked into the peaty, water-drenched landscape of Speyside, Scotland’s famous whisky region, Cardhu Distillery opened in 1811 and was the brainchild of whisky smuggler John Cumming and his wife Helen, one of the country’s very few female distillers. They operated illicitly for several years and it is thought the distillery was built on this exposed spot on Mannoch Hill so approaching strangers would be spotted; it is also close to crystal spring waters that feed into the River Spey. One of the highlights of the celebrated self-drive Malt Whisky Trail, the current distillery was built in 1884; nine years later the company was sold to Johnnie Walker and to this day their blended whiskies are produced using Cardhu (the name means ‘black rock’ in Gaelic) malts. Housed in a stone complex with distinctive pagoda-shaped roofs, and updated in the 1970s when more copper stills were introduced, Cardhu is famous for its range of award-winning single malts with a smooth taste attributed to years of maturing in oak casks. A visitor center was added in 1988, with fine views across to Ben Rinnes.
As well as guided tours, Cardhu Distillery is open for tastings of various single malts and Johnnie Walker blended whiskies, all of which can be bought in the gift shop.
Tours and tickets to Experience Cardhu Distillery
What are Cardhu Distillery hours of operation?
Should I book Cardhu Distillery tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Cardhu Distillery 2021?
What's the best way to experience Cardhu Distillery?
- 3-Day Speyside Whisky Trail Small-Group Tour from Edinburgh
- Meet Johnnie Walker - Private Whisky Tour - Cardhu, Cragganmore, Royal Lochnagar
- Craigs 4 day Highland Whisky Tour from Edinburgh - inclusive of up to 6 Persons
- Craigs 4 day Highland Whisky Tour from Glasgow - Inclusive of up to 6 Persons
Things to do near Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in Aberdeen
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in Western Ireland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West Ireland
- Things to do in Western Norway