Bolton Castle Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Situated on the Wensleydale moors, Bolton Castle is one of England’s best-preserved medieval castles. Built in the 14th century as a fortified residence by Sir Richard le Scrope—whose descendants still own the property today—the building is one of the Yorkshire Dales’ most distinctive landmarks.
Bolton Castle is famous for its architectural detail and for its history: it was once home to an imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots. Visit to see her bedroom and learn about the castle’s history, then enjoy archery, bee hives, and birds of prey on the grounds. The castle is still occupied by its current owners, but a large proportion of the property is open to the public, including the old kitchens, dungeon, nursery, and armory.
Things to Know Before You Go
- You must pay an admission fee to enter the castle and grounds.
- Dogs are not allowed in the castle or on the grounds.
- The castle is full of uneven surfaces, and you must climb a spiral staircase to reach the upper floors, so the site is not easily accessible to those with reduced mobility.
- The castle’s Guest Hall contains a tea room open to visitors.
How to Get There
Bolton Castle is located near Redmire, Wensleydale, on the eastern border of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. It’s approximately 5 miles west of the town of Leyburn; to reach the castle from Leyburn by car, follow the A684 towards Wensley. Bus service runs between Leyburn, Bolton Castle, and the surrounding towns from Monday to Saturday. The Wensleydale Railway —a seasonal Heritage Railway service—also links Leyburn and Redmire.
When to Get There
The castle building is open from April–October, and the grounds are open all-year-round. That said, the castle is sometimes closed for special events or weddings; check the schedule before planning a visit.
Continue your castle tour with a visit to the equally impressive Middleham Castle, located about 20 minutes southeast of Bolton Castle. While no longer habitable, the medieval ruins are fun to explore and offer a sense of the building’s once imposing size and structure. While visiting, learn about the building’s history: the castle was King Richard III’s childhood home, and the fascinating Middleham Jewel was discovered nearby.
Address: Wensleydale, England
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Bolton Castle
No results found!
Things to do near North West England
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Blackpool
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in Western Ireland