Top North Iceland Extreme - page 2
27 North Iceland Extreme | All North Iceland Tours
The Icelandic horse is one of the country's most enigmatic images. Learn all about them and what makes them special, such as their unique gait, while having an up-close encounter with the cute animals on this guided tour from Skjaldarvik Guesthouse in Akureyri. You will have the opportunity to take lots of pictures of the horses and even offer them something to eat.
The Askja Caldera tour brings out the essence of Iceland nature experience. The day begins early, heading into the barren wastelands of Iceland´s interior. Our ride is a Jeep and the CO2 impact of the whole trip is offset by a certified agent. There will be stops along the way in order to meet locals who show us the “hows” and “whats” of living in this wonderful place of contrasts. Along the way there will be plenty of photo ops, offering the chance to capture the incredible beauty and landscapes that go from lush to lunar. Lunch stop is en-route depending on conditions on the way, including delicious locally sourced ingredients. We will stop by to visit the place that NASA used as a training ground for astronauts Armstrong and Aldrin for the Apollo 11 lunar landing in 1969. Askja is an active volcano, which last erupted in 1961. The tour includes a hike to the explosion crater Víti (e. Hell) where it is possible to bathe in the geothermal lake in the crater.
– This is absolutely my favorite daytour… What is Askja and where is it? Lake Askja and the crater Víti, both inside the caldera in the center highland of Iceland. Askja is a caldera located in the center highland of Iceland, in the mountains Dyngjufjöll. Inside the caldera is a deep lake, and a crater with geothermal water. It is sometimes suitable to bathe in it although the path down to the crater is often impassable due to how steep it is. The trip it self to the Caldera is through the biggest desert of Iceland, called Ódáðahraun, along the glacier river Jökulsá á Fjöllum.
Things to do near North Iceland
- Things to do in Akureyri
- Things to do in East Iceland
- Things to do in South Iceland
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in Skaftafell
- Things to do in Vik
- Things to do in Reykjavik
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Aberdeen
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Central Norway
- Things to do in West Midlands
- Things to do in Western Ireland
- Things to do in North East England