Read MoreShow Less
Located in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, the historic village of Berrima is a welcoming destination for visitors looking to experience the charms of small-town Australia. It boasts Georgian sandstone buildings, historic pubs, vineyards, local shops, small boutiques, and a variety of accommodation options.
Berrima is often visited on full-day tours to Canberra from Sydney, but also makes a worthy destination on its own. Visitors enjoy browsing for Australian-made alpaca products, touring vineyards, and visiting local food shops for homemade jams and gourmet items. There’s also a heritage walk highlighting Berrima’s historic sandstone architecture, and a gallery showcasing and selling local art.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The town is about a 90-minute drive from Canberra or Sydney.
- There are wide ranging dining options in the village from casual to fine dining.
- Berrima is located near the Wingecarribee River and has popular walking trails along the water.
- The town hosts events like meditation retreats; check its website for up-to-date information.
How to Get There
Located right between Sydney and Canberra, Berrima is reachable by car or by a combination of train and bus. The journey from Sydney takes about 90 minutes by car or just over three hours by public transportation.
When to Get There
Berrima has a relatively mild climate with summer high temperatures reaching 77°F (25°C) and lows in the winter reaching about 50°F (11°C). Visitors can enjoy nature walks and hikes year-round with outdoor dining options in the summer months and cozy fireside experiences in colder weather.
Berrima Courthouse Museum
Built in 1839, the Berrima courthouse is steeped in Australia’s convict past, but the Greek Revival building has a rich history of its own, housing German prisoners of war during World War II. The courthouse has since been carefully restored, and turned into a museum offering daily self-guided and guided tours. Visitors can watch a 18-minute historical presentation in the Captain Starlight Theatrette, or a daily theatrical production in the courtroom titled Treachery, Treason, and Murder, which recounts a famous trial held there in the 1840s.
Address: NSW, Australia 2577, Australia
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Berrima
No results found!
Things to do near New South Wales
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Newcastle
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Brunswick Heads
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Queensland
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Choc
- Things to do in Brisbane
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in South Island
- Things to do in North Island