Old Ursuline Convent
Came to New Orleans to get a taste of antiquity? Then look no further than the Old Ursuline Convent—the oldest building in the Mississippi River Valley. But that’s not all – built in 1752, the convent is also a treasure trove of religious antiquity which features, among other religious treasures, the famous Archdiocese archives.
Not just a documentary museum, this ancient antebellum mansion located in New Orleans Garden District also houses some of the best examples of opulent southern décor. Enter via the Chartres Street entrance and be met with the most beautiful manicured garden in New Orleans, while within the mansion, the first thing you’ll notice is a handcrafted cypress staircase followed by some of the most fascinating oil paintings featuring religious motifs. Other rooms tell the various histories of the Old Ursuline Convent—the building was once an orphanage, a makeshift hospital, and even a temporary residence for traveling bishops.
Come visit this amazing example of French colonial architecture (the oldest surviving example in the United States) and see why locals have, for years, called the “Old Ursuline Convent the “treasure of the archdiocese.”
Tours and tickets to Experience Old Ursuline Convent
Should I book Old Ursuline Convent tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Old Ursuline Convent 2021?
What's the best way to experience Old Ursuline Convent?
- New Orleans Ghost, Voodoo & Vampire Walking Tour
- The New Orleans Sightseeing Flex Pass: Save Big on 20+ Attractions and Tours
- The New Orleans Sightseeing Day Pass: 20+ Attractions & Tours in The Big Easy
- French Quarter Haunted Excursion In New Orleans
Things to do near New Orleans
- Things to do in Louisiana
- Things to do in Orange Beach
- Things to do in Destin
- Things to do in Panama City Beach
- Things to do in Montgomery
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in Houston
- Things to do in Atlanta
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in Crystal River
- Things to do in Nashville
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Alabama
- Things to do in Georgia