Naples Piazza del Mercato
This busy spotin the center of Old Town Naples became the city's main market square in the 13th century. It was used for public executions from the 13th to 19th centuries and was also the site of a 16th-century revolt that ended with the public execution of 200 dissidents here. Given its historic and architectural importance, Piazza del Mercato is best visited with an expert tour guide as part of a walking tour of Naples attractions, including Castel dell'Ovo, the Royal Palace, Cathedral of San Gennaro, and the lively streets of the historic center.
Things to Know Before You Go
The market vendors sell an eclectic mishmash of food and household items.
If you plan on visiting the churches located in Market Square during your Naples tour, remember to cover your shoulders and knees and speak softly while inside.
Another of Naples' most popular outdoor markets, specializing in seafood, is held each day at Porta Nolana.
How to Get There
The central Piazza del Mercato is located in the heart of Naples, about a 10-minute walk from the Piazza Garibaldi train station. Naples is the capital of Campania, a transportation hub and easy day trip from Capri and the Amalfi Coast.
When to Get There
The weekly market takes place each Monday from 8am to 2pm, unless there is a special seasonal market or event scheduled. If you would like to peruse the market stalls, plan to visit on a Monday morning. Otherwise, the square is best visited on sunny but mild days any time of year.
Cathedrals in Piazza del Mercato
Tucked among the postwar buildings lining the square are three important churches: the gothic Church of Sant'Eligio Maggiore; the Basilica of Santa Maria del Carmine Maggiore, a unique example of Neapolitan Baroque architecture; and the neoclassical Chiesa di Santa Croce e Purgatorio al Mercato. There are also two recently restored 18th-century obelisk-shaped fountains, known as the Fontane del Seguro.
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Positano
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Salerno
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Matera
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Taormina
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Puglia
- Pio Monte della Misericordia
- Bay of Naples (Golfo di Napoli)
- Via San Gregorio Armeno (Christmas Alley)
- Centro Storico
- Naples Cathedral (Duomo di San Gennaro)
- Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore
- Naples Underground (Napoli Sotterranea)
- Basilica of San Domenico Maggiore (Basilica di San Domenico Maggiore)
- Sansevero Chapel (Museo Cappella Sansevero)
- Church and Monastery of Santa Chiara (Chiesa e Monastero di Santa Chiara)
- Naples Historic Center (Napoli Centro Storico)
- Piazza del Gesù Nuovo
- Gesú Nuovo Church (Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo)
- Church of Sant'Anna dei Lombardi (Chiesa di Sant'Anna dei Lombardi)
- Naples Cruise Port (Terminal Crociere di Napoli)
- Naples and Pizza
- Pompeii Tours from Naples
- Amalfi Coast from Naples
- Nightlife in Naples
- Caravaggio Art in Naples
- Top Day Trips from Naples
- Ways to Beat the Crowds in Naples
- How to Spend a Rainy Day in Naples
- Where to Find the Best Views in Naples
- Art Lover's Guide to Naples
- Sightseeing on a Budget in Naples
- Must-See Museums in Naples