Catacombs of San Gaudioso (Catacombe di San Gaudioso)
The catacombs are a popular attraction in the Rione Sanità neighborhood, and tourists often visit while seeing the Basilica of Santa Maria della Sanità, which sits about the caves and tunnels. When you descend, you’ll find preserved works of art and mosaics depicting early Christian symbols. To avoid the hassles of negotiating same-day entry, plan to pre-book admission or opt for a full-day walking tour of Rione Sanità that includes a catacombs visit.
Things to Know Before You Go
Visitors can explore the catacombs of San Gennaro and San Gaudioso for one low price.
Guided tours, held hourly, are included with the price of admission.
Bring an outer layer; the catacombs can be chilly.
You can see the basilica and the catacombs on a single ticket.
Seniors enjoy discounted admission to the catacombs.
The catacombs are wheelchair accessible, but advance notice is required.
How to Get There
To reach the Catacombs of San Gaudioso, head to Piazza Sanità, 14, and find the ticket office inside the Santa Maria della Sanità Basilica. Though some travelers may drive—parking is free—you can also arrive by public transit: Take the C52 bus to the Sanita stop, or the 168, 460, 604, C63, N4, or N8 busses to the Amedeo Di Savoia stop.
When to Get There
The Catacombs of San Gaudioso are open daily in the morning and early afternoon. Tours run on the hour. The catacombs are busiest during the summer high season.
Exploring Basilica of Santa Maria della Sanità
Basilica of Santa Maria della Sanità is an ideal place to get a firsthand look at the the Neapolitan baroque style, which was popular in the 17th and 18th centuries. In addition to the subterranean catacombs, the building is also known for its St. Vincent Ferrer statue and for its numerous paintings, including works by Luca Giordano.
- Things to do in Pompeii
- Things to do in Sorrento
- Things to do in Positano
- Things to do in Capri
- Things to do in Amalfi
- Things to do in Salerno
- Things to do in Rome
- Things to do in Matera
- Things to do in Palermo
- Things to do in Taormina
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Siena
- Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Things to do in Lazio
- Things to do in Puglia
- Naples National Archaeological Museum (Museo Archeologico Nazionale)
- Capodimonte Museum (Museo di Capodimonte)
- Fontanelle Cemetery (Cimitero delle Fontanelle)
- Naples Underground (Napoli Sotterranea)
- Basilica di San Lorenzo Maggiore
- Naples Cathedral (Duomo di San Gennaro)
- Centro Storico
- Catacombs of San Gennaro (Catacombe di San Gennaro)
- Pio Monte della Misericordia
- Sansevero Chapel (Museo Cappella Sansevero)
- Basilica of San Domenico Maggiore (Basilica di San Domenico Maggiore)
- Via San Gregorio Armeno (Christmas Alley)
- Naples Historic Center (Napoli Centro Storico)
- Piazza del Gesù Nuovo
- Gesú Nuovo Church (Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo)