As an historic hub for Montreal’s Hasidic Jewish community, Outremont is often added to walking tours centered around food or Jewish history, which typically include stops at Mile End eateries, synagogues, and historic Outremont homes. Like many Montreal neighborhoods, Outremont is best explored at a leisurely pace. Alternatively, private tours afford visitors the added benefit of inside tips and recommendations from a guide.
Things to Know Before You Go
Outremont is a must-do for history buffs.
Don’t forget comfortable shoes, as the best way to explore the neighborhood and discover hidden gems is on foot.
Street signs, including parking and traffic signs, are written in French. Metered street parking is available, but often limited.
How to Get There
Outremont is a situated just north of Mount Royal and is easily accessible using Montreal’s public transit system. To reach Outremont, take bus 51 or bus 129 to Cote-Sainte-Catherine and Les Hautvilliers, or the 5 metro to Outremont station. Alternatively, use Montreal’s BIXI bike-share program to enjoy a scenic ride from downtown.
When to Get There
Because Outremont is not often on the tourist radar, the neighborhood is rarely crowded. Go on a weekend to get a feel for the area’s atmosphere, or a weekday for a quieter visit to the neighborhood’s hidden gem cafes, boutiques, and parks.
Mount Royal Cemetery
Located in Outremont on the north slope of Mount Royal is Mount Royal Cemetery, an historic landmark that affords visitors with panoramic views of the cityscape away from the crowds. At 165 acres (67 hectares), the cemetery offers plenty of quiet space to think, walk, picnic, and pay respects to those buried within its gates, including famed former prime ministers, writers, and hockey players.
- Things to do in Quebec
- Things to do in Salem
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Washington DC
- Things to do in New York
- Things to do in Massachusetts
- Mount Royal Cemetery (Cimetière Mont-Royal)
- Mile End
- Mount Royal
- Montreal Little Italy
- Jean-Talon Market (Marché Jean-Talon)
- St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal (L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal)
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des Beaux-Arts)
- Montreal Botanical Garden (Jardin Botanique de Montréal)
- Plateau-Mont-Royal (the Plateau)
- McCord Museum
- Dorchester Square (Le Square Dorchester)
- Les Cours Mont-Royal
- Crescent Street (Rue Crescent)
- Grevin Museum (Musée Grévin Montréal)
- Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal (MAC)