State Museum of Popular Cultures (Museo Estatal de Culturas Populares)
Given its prime location in Monterrey’s Barrio Antiguo neighborhood, most travelers choose to combine a brief visit to the State Museum of Popular Cultures with a wider exploration of the area. You can easily make the most of the museum in under an hour before heading to the nearby Bam Cultural Center, Mercado Barrio Antiguo food hall, or the Sunday afternoon flea market. When the Monterrey heat gets too much, grab a coffee in one of Barrio Antiguo’s numerous cafés.
Things to Know Before You Go
It’s easy to add on a visit to the State Museum of Popular Cultures during an exploration of Barrio Antiguo.
The State Museum of Popular Cultures is free to enter.
Barrio Antiguo is one of Monterrey’s best street art districts, so be sure to take your camera.
Wheelchair access may be limited at the State Museum of Popular Cultures.
How to Get There
Situated just three blocks from the Macroplaza in downtown Monterrey, the State Museum of Popular Cultures is easily accessible on foot for most visitors staying in the locality. Otherwise, arrive by rideshare or Metrorrey—the closest station is General I. Zaragoza in the Macroplaza.
When to Get There
The State Museum of Popular Cultures is typically open Tuesday to Sunday from the mid-morning until the early evening. It’s always closed on Mondays. To enjoy the place to yourself visit midweek or take advantage of your time in Barrio Antiguo and stop by the State Museum of Popular Cultures on Sunday, when the neighborhood comes alive with visitors and even hosts a streetside flea market.
What to Do in Monterrey
After visiting the State Museum of Popular Cultures and wandering the streets of Barrio Antiguo, head over to San Pedro Garza García for a walk in the Chipinque Ecological Park or visit to the Planetario Alfa. Alternatively, stick to the city center and take a stroll along the Paseo Santa Lucía, learn about Monterrey’s industrial history at the Museo del Acero Horno 3, or people watch in Parque Fundidora.
- Things to do in South Padre Island
- Things to do in San Antonio
- Things to do in Houston
- Things to do in Galveston
- Things to do in Mexico City
- Things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Things to do in Taxco
- Things to do in Dallas
- Things to do in Acapulco
- Things to do in San Jose del Cabo
- Things to do in Texas
- Things to do in Jalisco
- Things to do in Central Mexico
- Things to do in Guerrero
- Monterrey City Hall (Palacio Municipal)
- Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma Brewery (Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma)
- Villa de Santiago
- Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana)
- Chipinque Ecological Park (Parque Ecológico Chipinque)
- Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame (Salón de la Fama)
- Glass Museum (Museo del Vidrio)
- Calle Morelos
- Mirador del Obispado (Bishop’s Lookout)
- St. Lucia Riverwalk (Paseo Santa Lucia)
- Fundidora Park
- Parque La Huasteca (La Huasteca Canyon Park)
- Barrio Antiguo (Old Town)
- Macroplaza (La Gran Plaza)
- Sesamo Park Plaza (Parque Plaza Sesamo)