Sam Sharpe Square
In addition to offering an opportunity to linger in the square and learn about its heroic namesake, Sam Sharpe Square is a jumping off point for other excursions. Travelers visit Sam Sharpe Square as part of a half-day or full-day tour leaving from Montego Bay, Falmouth, or Negril. Tours may also include cultural and natural attractions such as Rockland Bird Sanctuary or St. James Parish Church, or a candlelit visit to the historic Rose Hall mansion.
Things to Know Before You Go
- A visit to Sam Sharpe Square is suitable for solo travelers, couples, and families. Small children might not enjoy the pace of some of the more active tours.
- If you’re going as a part of a tour, round-trip hotel transport to the square would be included.
- Remember sun protection and water for hydration.
How to Get There
Located in the center of downtown Montego Bay, Sam Sharpe Square is on Market Street and James Street. Ask your hotel to arrange the short taxi ride to the square.
When to Get There
Open year-round, the square is a lovely place to visit any time of the year. July and August are the hottest months in Jamaica, and the rainiest months are typically May, June, September, and October.
Who Was Samuel Sharpe?
Originally named Charles Square, the plaza was renamed to honor Sam Sharpe, a Jamaican hero and anti-slavery activist. Born a slave, Sharpe subsequently worked and lived on the Croydon Plantation. After gaining his freedom, he became a Baptist preacher who led the revolt of plantation slaves during the Jamaican Baptist War of 1831. Sharpe’s powerful rebellion contributed to the abolition of slavery in the British Empire in 1833.
- Harbour Street Craft Market
- Montego Bay Marine Park
- Fort Montego
- Aquasol Theme Park
- Margaritaville Montego Bay Restaurant & Bar
- Cornwall Beach
- Doctor's Cave Beach
- Hip Strip (Gloucester Avenue)
- Montego Bay Cruise Port
- Club Mobay Departure Lounge
- Rastafari Indigenous Village
- Rocklands Bird Sanctuary
- Ahhh...Ras Natango Gallery and Garden
- Rose Hall Great House
- Greenwood Great House