Things to Do in Milan This Summer
Like many large cities, Milan can be a challenge during the hottest months of summer, and it takes a bit of planning to enjoy the highlights in comfort. Do as the Milanesi do and divide your time between the city center and cooler coast and countryside. Here are a few ways to experience the best of Milan in summer, even when temperatures soar.
- Don’t swelter in the heat outside: Choose askip-the-line tour of the Duomo and Leonardo da Vinci’sLast Supperfor priority entry.
- Avoid getting footsore with a long walking itinerary, and instead zip through the city on aSegway or rickshaw tour.
- See Milan’s highlights via a breezy, open-top bus on ahop-on hop-off city tour.
- Cool the palate with agelato master class (and tasting!).
- Avoid touring during the hottest hours of the day, and insteadexplore Milan’s trendy Navigli district in the evening.
- Sample the best vintages from the cool hills of Lombardy and Piedmont with awine-tasting tour in the countryside.
- Catch a sea breeze on the coast with a jaunt to the picturesqueCinque Terre.
- Head to cooler climes with a day trip toLake Como or Lake Maggiore.
- Escape to the refreshing Alpine peaks with atrain ride on the Bernina Express as far as St. Moritz. *Experience Milan’s famed nightlife, when temperatures drop but the clubs and bars heat up.