Arch of Peace (Arco della Pace)
Arco della Pace stands in the largest green space in the city, Parco Sempione, where Milanese families come to relax, walk their dogs, and picnic. A favorite meeting spot by day, especially in summer, the area is also bustling with life when the sun goes down. Many city tours—including tours by bike, hop-on hop-off bus, Segway, and rickshaw—typically pass by the arch as well as the park and nearby Castello Sforzesco.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Arch of Peace is a must for architecture lovers and history buffs.
The arch is located in a piazza with little shade, so wear a hat or apply sunscreen during your outing.
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking on uneven surfaces.
How to Get There
The Arch of Peace is located at Piazza Sempione, in the heart of Milan, a 10-minute walk from Castello Sforzesco. To get there by public transit, take tram 1 or 10 to Arco della Pace. The metro will drop you within a 15-minute walk of the arch; take the M5 to Domodossola, the M1 to Cadorna, or the M2 to Lanza.
When to Get There
The arch is open all year round and is busiest during the summer months. Get there early in the morning for pictures without crowds, or come in the evening and enjoy the area’s vibrant nightlife scene after your visit.
The Design of the Arch of Peace
The Arch of Peace was originally built as part of a larger project—a replica of the Roman Forum—to commemorate Napoleon’s victories. After the dictator’s abdication in 1814, the Forum idea was scrapped and the Hapsburgs renamed the arch to honor peace in post-Napoleonic Europe. The neoclassical monument, based on the Arch of Septimius Severus at the Forum in Rome, features Corinthian columns and various bronze sculptures and reliefs depicting events in Italian history.
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Things to do in Ferno
- Things to do in Lake Como
- Things to do in Parma
- Things to do in Genoa
- Things to do in Langhe-Roero and Monferrato
- Things to do in Turin
- Things to do in Verona
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Swiss Alps
- Branca Tower (Torre Branca)
- La Triennale Museum (La Triennale di Milano)
- Sempione Park (Parco Sempione)
- Sforza Castle (Castello Sforzesco)
- Da Vinci's Last Supper (Il Cenacolo)
- Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie (Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie)
- Bramante Sacristy (Sacrestia del Bramante)
- Leonardo’s Vineyard (Vigna di Leonardo)
- Church of San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore (Chiesa di San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore)
- Milan Monumental Cemetery (Cimitero Monumentale di Milano)
- Brera Art Gallery (Pinacoteca di Brera)
- 10 Corso Como
- Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio (Basilica di Sant'Ambrogio)
- Leonardo da Vinci National Museum of Science and Technology
- Skip the Line for the Last Supper
- All Milan Skip the Line Tours
- Shopping in Milan
- Milan in 3 Days
- Lake Day Trips from Milan
- Romantic Things To Do in Milan
- Venice Day Trips from Milan
- Top Nightlife Experiences in Milan
- Milan Neighborhood Guide
- Top Parks and Gardens in Milan
- Swiss Alps Tours from Milan
- Milan for Art Lovers