Miami Design District
This revitalized neighborhood continues to evolve, with more and more luxury brands like Givenchy, Valentino, Dolce & Gabbana, Giorgio Armani, and Van Cleef & Arpels opening up shop. The long-term dream for the district is for it to exist as a renowned destination for cutting-edge fashion, art, design, and culture, while maintaining its commitment to creative experiences.
Free guided tours of the neighborhood’s public art are available, as well as tours that explore a combination of Midtown Miami, the Design District, and the Wynwood Art District.
Things to know before you go
- This is a photo-friendly neighborhood, so be sure to bring your camera.
- Art & Design Night takes place every second Saturday of each month.
- Notable installations to keep an eye out for include Buckminster Fuller’s Fly's Eye Dome at the Palm Court, a Sou Fujimoto building, and the colorfully designed parking garage, Museum Garage.
How to get there
The neighborhood is loosely bordered by NE 36th Street to the south, NE 43rd Street to the north, NW 1st Avenue to the west, and Biscayne Boulevard to the east. The Design District is located just 3 miles (4.5 kilometers) from downtown Miami, 5 miles (8 kilometers) from the Miami International Airport, and less than 7 miles (11 kilometers) from the center of South Beach.
When to get there
In December, the district sees an influx of visitors thanks to a constellation of international annual art fairs including Art Basel and Design Miami/. For art lovers, this is prime time to visit, but it is also the most crowded time. Overall, shopping hours vary in the district but are generally from 10am until 7pm.
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
Located south of downtown Miami in Coconut Grove, the Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is another popular attraction for art and architecture lovers. The ornate Italian Renaissance-style estate features 15th- to 19th-century furniture, paintings, and decorative arts, with contemporary art exhibits sprinkled throughout. Its grounds, which border Biscayne Bay, also offer plenty to explore.
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Boca Raton
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
- Things to do in West Palm Beach
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Freeport
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Key West
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Nassau
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in New Providence Island