Melbourne Zoo Tours
The Melbourne Zoo has been open since 1862, making it Australia's oldest zoo. Modeled after the London Zoo, the Melbourne Zoo houses more than 300 species from around the world, from elephants and lions to Aussie natives like kangaroos and koalas. The zoo is also a conservation center dedicated to fighting wildlife extinction.
Located north of the city center within the grounds of Royal Park, the zoo is a popular family attraction that offers several ways to see and learn about the animals. Visit to see the animals in their habitats, enjoy experiences like giraffe encounters, and take behind-the-scenes tours of the gorilla and tiger habitats. There are also keeper talks throughout the day.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Purchase tickets online in advance to avoid lines.
- Visitors can save money on a visit to the zoo and other local attractions with a Melbourne sightseeing pass.
- There are several cafes, kiosks, and food stands at the zoo.
- The zoo is wheelchair accessible, and wheelchairs are available for guests to use.
- You can rent a stroller on site for a fee.
How to Get There
The zoo is located in the suburb of Parkville, just north of the city. To reach the park via public transport, catch one of the trams that run along William Street or a train from Flinders Street Station to Royal Park Station.
When to Get There
The zoo is open every day from morning until early evening; some tours start before opening hours or run into the night. The zoo is busiest on weekends and during school holidays. Keeper talks take place every 30 to 60 minutes.
Australian Wildlife Tour
For a really unique behind-the-scenes look at the zoo and some of its animals, book the wildlife tour, which gives you access to the zoo in the morning, before it opens to the public. The 45-minute tour takes you through the Australian bush habitat to see native animals like kangaroos, koalas, emus, wombats, and exotic birds and learn about their life at the zoo.
Recent Reviews from Experiences in Melbourne
8 Tours and Activities to Experience Melbourne Zoo
Frequently Asked Questions
Things to do near Melbourne
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Mornington Peninsula
- Things to do in Phillip Island
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Great Ocean Road
- Things to do in Burnie
- Things to do in Launceston
- Things to do in Hobart
- Things to do in Seven Mile Beach
- Things to do in Port Arthur
- Things to do in Barossa Valley
- Things to do in Adelaide
- Things to do in Sydney
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia